VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was just seeing if there is anyone close to the quad cities(davenport, ia/ moline, il) with vagcom. I'm tired of looking at these warning lights on the dash. If anyone can help let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
you can get a free scan at advanced auto/autozone. also you could buy a 15 dollar vagcom cable and download vcds lite for free on rosstech.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto zone couldn't read the abs/traction codes for some reason but they did read the engine code and they said it was running lean. Maybe an o2 sensor? Not sure what else it could be for that. I'll try advanced auto though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
They won't be able to read ABS codes. You do need VAGCOM for that.

But when you get it scanned, if you get the actual code numbers, that is most helpful. Sometimes the generic scanner descriptions aren't correct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The po of the car replaced the o2 sensor so I guess I can check the connection. The 420 code has something to do with the turbo? Is there anything that often goes out causing that code? I'll replace the fuel filter and see if that takes care of the 171 code. If not what else should I try? And the abs/traction lights stay on for a few days then shut off for a few times I drive the car then come back on. Any ideas on that? Thanks guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you buy the chord off ebay for like $9 you can download vagcom lite for free and read the codes and clear them, you wont be able to do as much s you could with full but it will do what you need and I mean its only $9

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Are you daft? click the link i posted and search the codes. Here, I did it for you since I'm a bit worried you might be incapable of doing it yourself ;)

16555/P0171/000369 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1: System Too Lean

Possible Causes
Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) defective
Intake System Leak(s)

Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
Check Fuel Pressure Regulation
Check Fuel Pump
Check Injectors
Check Intake System for Leaks
Check Exhaust System for Leaks
Check Secondary Air System for Leaks
Check Vacuum Pipes for Leaks

16804/P0420/001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
Possible Causes
Leakage in Intake and/or Exhaust System
Catalyst faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) Control faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Intake and Exhaust System for Leaks
Check Catalyst
Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
Check Oxygen Sensor(s) Control
Perform Oxygen Sensor(s) Aging Check

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry gli I was looking at that site when I was at work last night in my phone and couldn't find them for some reason. My bad! I'll start tearing into the damn thing this weekend because my mpg are horrible right now. I'm getting the same with my cummins as I am with this thing right now

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Sorry gli I was looking at that site when I was at work last night in my phone and couldn't find them for some reason. My bad! I'll start tearing into the damn thing this weekend because my mpg are horrible right now. I'm getting the same with my cummins as I am with this thing right now
no worries, good luck. start with the easy things, like cleaning the MAF, checking for vacuum leaks, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Check vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator first. Unplug the vacuum line to it, stick your finger on and plug the line to see if it's sucking air. If it's not, there's your problem.

If the motor has trouble with power I would replace the fuel filter next.

Secondary injection only is on during cold start.
If the two things I posted before were not the issue, grab a scanner that can check your Air to fuel ratio in real time. Watch it during cold start then watch it when the car is at operating temp and see the difference.
If it is only lean at cold start that is not too much of an issue, depending on the ratio. Be sure to post it or ask someone if it's a safe level. You can always delete the secondary air system.

If none of these things yield results I would go ahead and replace the 02 sensors as it would be the likely culprit.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Not if you have resistors on it no. Do the steps in order, you're not even sure you need to delete it yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I'll start with what you said and go from there. Won't have time until this weekend to look at it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts