VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, after my current Golf MKIV had a serious leak in the transmission and the trans broke, I'm in the
lookout for a new "cheap" car. So today i randomly walked into one of my friends, who was accompanied
with a friend of him. Now, this friend of my friend owns a green Golf MKIV 1.8l turbo, which he showed me
and let me drive.

The engine is a 1.8l as said, and he estimates that it produce around 200+ bhp. I did not get it past 2 gear
where I maxed out 1st and around 3-4k in 2nd. At this point I was past 120km/h. Didn’t really pay to much
attention to the dash, as it was a bit of a curvy road. Also, downhill. We had a car ahead while going up. I do
not have a lot of experience with cars 120+hp tbh… The closest is a tired 97mod 1.8t Passat. But the car did
feel a lot faster and more powerful! Though I feel it lacked a bit of torque. He also said that the turbo is good
for about 280bhp, he also stated the model, but I cannot recall this.

Over to the bad… There is quite a lot…
My budget is around 30k NOK, which is a bit under 5k USD. This car is not really appeling to look at, the color,
an un-painted rieger front bumper, and no grill. It’s not just that the color is green, it’s also a dead green color,
could probably fix it with some polish, but that is for another discussion. There is also a big bulk at the channel
along the bottom left-hand side (looking from the back), at the front door.

One of the break discs needs replacing, both struts at the back needs replacing, and that is what I know as of now.
Also, it needs a new turbo map, the current one is causing backfire, which I didn’t notice at my little test drive, but
he informed me about it. And it’s due for a check to see if it passes the EU regulation, which it won’t in this condition.

There is also only one set of tires, but since I'm most likely going to sell my golf as a parts car, I have a set of unused
winter tires. Yes, the fact that I just bought a new set of winter tires for my car is sad….

This is all I know as of this point. I do not want to ask him more about the car, since I do not want to show any interest
at this point, since I am not really impressed. I need some advice here, the car looks like one that is worth about 1/3 of my
budget, but then again, all the mechanical work must drag the price up, so I have really no idea of a value.

Here in Norway I have to go past 14k to find a GTI with 200+hp. And those a RARE(!). And usually in really good condition.
So what would you give for a “worn” out GTI with 200+bhp, where the trans and eng seems in good shape?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Honestly. It seems like a mess. These cars are either 150 hp or 180 stock, depending on the Year. If the tune isn't making sense with the turbo and the air fuel ratio is off, who knows what else is a mess.

A tune on a stock turbo will give you anywhere from 215-235 hp.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yeah, it all depends. What company is the tuning company, and what turbo is in there? Also ask when the timing belt was done last.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts