VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are experiencing this contact VW Customer Care: 800-822-8987

Sound Clip of rattle: 20th AE rattle

Brought home my new 03 Rabbit. Went to listen to my exhaust while in the garage, stepped on the gas while in neutral and heard a loud popping click coming from the front wheel well engine bay area. Immediately took the car to the dealer, who indicated that the sound was normal and if they had another one in stock they would let me hear it. They pulled around a vr6 and did the same routine and there was no loud popping click. Also I never had this sound on my 02 GTI I just traded in. So, I went to a dealer in town who did have the 20th AE in stock and did the routine and the car made the clicking sound. The car at the dealer was making multiple clicking noises when mine is more of a single loud pop click. Was then driving home from dealership saw a 20th AE stopped at a car wash so i pulled over and tested their car with the same routine and their car also made the sound.

You can also hear this sound as you turn the car off and when the car is in idle. Also, if you put the clutch in while someone is listening at the left wheel well the sound will dissapear.

The dealer is saying that this sound is "normal and just the nature of the car"
This is nothing like anything I have ever heard and to me is not "normal"

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: 03Rabbit1.8Turbo ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
When does the pop occur? During release or during engagement of the gas pedal?

My car Backfires occasionally (which is not to be confused with misfire = bad).

Also, since my recent ABD Hi-flow cat. converter my friend who was driving behind me said my exhaust tips emit a light glow during my backfires now. LOL So I think if I get to Stage 2 there should be flames. HA HAHA.. I do not want to go that far though. LOL

Also, as TimmayGTI noticed it makes my paint above my tips darker now. When that happenes. I think I need to purchase one of these aluminum plates and slap it above the tips.

Sorry I dirted off the topic. But what I mean to say is... the pop could be a high pitched backfire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
When does the pop occur? During release or during engagement of the gas pedal?

My car Backfires occasionally (which is not to be confused with misfire = bad).

Also, since my recent ABD Hi-flow cat. converter my friend who was driving behind me said my exhaust tips emit a light glow during my backfires now. LOL So I think if I get to Stage 2 there should be flames. HA HAHA.. I do not want to go that far though. LOL

Also, as TimmayGTI noticed it makes my paint above my tips darker now. When that happenes. I think I need to purchase one of these aluminum plates and slap it above the tips.

Sorry I dirted off the topic. But what I mean to say is... the pop could be a high pitched backfire.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I definitely do not think this is backfire. It sounds more like marbles in my engine bay. Also, this sound occurs when the car is idle and when you shut the car off.

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: 03Rabbit1.8Turbo ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Hmmmm. Did you have someone else in the car, while you were outside with the hood opened? Try to narrow the sound down to a specific area.... By saying engine bay is not specific enough. Hopefully we get that thing solved.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well is it pinging that your hearing on the VR6? what octane gas do you use?
jon

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
sounds like a vr6 problem maybe? what exactly is the sound? post a sound clip please. I will see if mine make the same sound?? thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got something together and made it small enough to dl.
Its in Windows Media Format 9 , so make sure you have the latest windows media player.

Its a combo of two video files. The first part has the car starting and when settling at idle you can then hear the slight clicking....after that a rev with a louder click/rattle.

Then next part gives you a couple of revs and louder clicks. As you can hear we are barely revving the car up...perhaps one time it goes past 2.5k.

Also just noticed at the very end when shutting the car off , if you listen very carefully it rattles again. Its normally a lot louder than this. But I stood up , which makes it a lot harder for the camera to pick up that sound. Ill try to maybe get another video of the car just shutting off....

sound clip:03 6spd rattle

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: 03Rabbit1.8Turbo ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to bring this ttt. I'm sure a lot more have the 20th now.

Anyone have this?

·
Registered
777 Posts
does 1.8 have a timeing chain or belt? my timing chain sounds a little like that, but its not one loud pop, also, thomas's idea about backfires could be right, the trans am used to get little backfires in like the header..... it was wierd.... good luck...

·
Registered
510 Posts
i've got a 02 1.8t and that deff. didnt happen to me, It dont sound good to me either, sounds like u got some cylinders loose or somethin - sorry man, too bad for such a hott car

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slaven GTI:
i've got a 02 1.8t and that deff. didnt happen to me, It dont sound good to me either, sounds like u got some cylinders loose or somethin - sorry man, too bad for such a hott car<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before my 20th I also had an 02 1.8t, which didn't make this noise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder if it's the shift linkage? Maybe the weight is rattling around because of a bad/loose link? My 03 2.0l Golf makes this sound some times as well. I will test..

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
I'd be willing to bet it's clutch chatter. I wouldn't worry about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what is clutch chatter?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
what is clutch chatter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the flywheel moving about on the pressure plate/disk.....it's pretty normal and varies from car to car. With the additional surface area of the flywheel included on the 20th ae, it would make sense. I would not worry about it unless the clutch seems to not engage right.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I sometimes hear a slight click sound as I let the clutch out (usually 2nd gear) - it this a similar phenom?

[ January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts