VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 VW GTI (2 dr MT) makes a weird vibration/resonance noise between 65 and 75 mph speeds. The vibrations can be felt through the pedals (accelerator, clutch). The noise/vibration goes away after 75. It is clear/loudest at 70 irrespective of whether accelerating through or coming down to 70 from a higher speed. However, it is not too evident but it is present every time I do those speeds, apparently the dealership could not. They said that the wheel-bearings are fine and nothing's wrong.

I did hit a couple of pot-holes that created side-wall bubble on the two front tires. I had the tires replaced with new ones. The noise still continued. These are 18 inch huff wheels with low-profile tires.

I tried balancing the wheel (driver front only so far) that I suspected to be out of whack, it did not help. I am going to try balancing or swapping the other wheels today (rear to front) and hope this resolves the matter.

However, what could be the reason for the noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you got cheap tires there could be a noise that sound lika wheel bearings. I got cheap tires from my Gof GTI -05 and it didn´t stop until I replaced the tires. I had Maxxas tires and changed to Dunlop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Dunlop Sport 01 AS that came with the car. These are 240$ each. However, the noise was not present until about 2 months ago.

I had the wheels balanced and swapped yesterday, still the noise exists. Any idea?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Dunlop Sport 01 AS that came with the car. These are 240$ each. However, the noise was not present until about 2 months ago.

I had the wheels balanced and swapped yesterday, still the noise exists. Any idea?
Keep on top of the maintenance of your car. And if something isn't right and car is still under warrenty dont be ashamed to take it back

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you feeling the vibration through the steering wheel or the seat? Most likely it's a bad tire, out of balance wheel, or out of true rim, in that order. Beyond that, to help troubleshoot, need more info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise does is felt/heard in cycles (repeated cycles of low volume to hi when cruising at 70). The best description of noise type would be: VIBRATION/HUM/RESONANCE. I cannot feel through the seat but through the pedals and a little bit in the steering. When the noise is on, it can be felt through out the cabin. It appears to be coming from the front. The problem is that it is not too apparent but clear enough to ANNOY me which is why I am stuck with VW tech unable to hear it. Further, their rules do not allow them to go on highways.

The noise starts at around 65mph and increase through 70mph. The noise is not present at 75 or above, but when going down to 70 from a higher speed, the resonance can be heard. I can feel it even with the music on, however, the VW techs cannot.

Another problem is that this car (GTI) is a bit noisy and more so with the low profile tires which makes it more difficult for the techs to hear it. 5 minutes or less on highway, I can feel it.

I had a highspeed (150mph) balancing done on all wheels. It was of no use. As of today, the car has about 5500 miles on it. Regarding tires, it opens up another can of worms: So far, in a couple of months time period, I have had 3 tires develop side-wall bubbles, not at the same time though. I had it replaced at my cost, the noise still exists. So, I do not know what to do regarding tires. The factory ones are Dunlop Sport AS 01. Changing to another brand will help? If so, which ones? The wheels are hufeisen 18". I am waiting on a VW regional rep. to look into my car. Has anyone experienced this? What is wrong here? Could the tire and noise issues be connected? Of course the side-wall bubble may be from a pot-hole but it cannot be this bad (3 tires in 6 weeks). These tires (Dunlop Sport AS 01) are no longer available (as per Mavis who declined my road-hazard protection).

Please suggest/advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tire pressure right? Maybe try more or less to see if it makes a difference. I would also consider a wheel bearing but if the techys can't hear it you may be SOL. My wife had a similar occurrence on an 06 MINI but the techy noticed the vibration. An advanced wheel bearing failure can be easily felt/heard when turning a wheel by hand. Give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same exact problem, same speed and everything. Nobody has been able to pin point the problem. Any luck on your end?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't think that it is your wheel bearings, if it was the noise would be more constant and not go away after reaching certain speeds. Wheel bearings generaly start to hum shortly after you start driving and the noise will increase as you go faster. This sounds like your wheels are out of balanace, you may want to have them re-check it. Also check for a slightly damaged rim, this could have happen after you balance your wheels. with low profile tires anything is possible.
Check your drive axels aswell, sometimes they weld balance weights to them. If one of these fell off it could cause this vibration.
The bottom line, your dealer should be looking more into this. Try a different dealer they may be a bit more eager to help so they can get your business later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem Solved

I am posting the resolve quite later but here it is:

After a lot of going back and forth and the regional rep involved (not a nice experience at all). They did investigate upon direct directions by the rep on the wheel bearings. Finally, finally, finally found the right front bearing to be bad. Replaced it. It drives like a dream.

However, only after a few months later during a roadtrip, I had another big sidewall bubble and bent rims (pot holes) on the 18-in wheels. Car is out of alignment, drifts to the right. It is extremely hard to find these sized tires. Only available ones were Sailun Attreza. Two months later, TPMS light popped up on the dash. Dealer said that it is the tire (in other words, no other tire place can touch this car??). I said it is after 2 months, how come? They investigated and found that the s/w was reverting to 78 psi as normal tire pressure and therefore, under inflated. Well, they fixed the s/w. It is fine now. The car with 18" wheels is not reliable for any long trip. Every time, the huff wheels were touched to mount/unmount tires, it would scar the wheel. It looks horrible now. So, I am planning to replace all 4 wheels with 16" wheel set/tires. I hope, I will be at peace with the pot holes and compromise on some or more of handling?? I found the estimate to be $1400 for a standard 16" alloy wheel/tire package. I spoke to 17" owners and they had some bad experience with 17" wheels as well. If you really notice the wheel to road distance with a 17" is the same as 18". Just the shape of tire is different. 16" are apparently better/cusion. Any better suggestions?

Lately, another problem developed with the driver side window. When closing the window, it would go 3/4th the way and pull down as if it is sensing a finger (safety) while nothing's out there. It takes a couple of times to close the window. And the problem is that it does not happen every time. Its hard to explain it to the dealership and I am closing 34k miles.

I have read about TSI engines (2010 GTIs) developing carbon deposits and damaging engines prematurely. I hope it is not a time bomb ticking. Even if it happens, what does it take to clean up/cost? Any measures to avoid this issue?

Above is my experience.....and I have had several other reliability issues with VW (A/C, TPMS, tire/wheel issue, airbag, seat belt, squeaks/rattles, visor loose, window grunts, mpg is going down, etc.).

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vibration

So it was definitely a wheel bearing issue? I just want to be sure when I return to dealer for 20K mile service. Was it replaced under warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it was definitely a wheel bearing issue? I just want to be sure when I return to dealer for 20K mile service. Was it replaced under warranty?

Thanks
Yes, it was definitely the wheel bearing. And yes, it was replaced under warranty. Almost all the wheels are bent (more or less) but after the bearing replacement, it drove very smooth.

Anyways, this car was very problematic, particularly the low profiles so I traded it in for a beamer 5 series. Therefore, I havent been on the forum lately. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I came across this posting because I am having a similar issue with my 2013 VW GTI with only 3,200 miles. I have my 2nd appointment with the same dealership today hoping that they can fix the problem. I left for a two week trip to Germany and my car was sitting in the drive way the entire 2 weeks - no one drove it or moved it. I come back on a Saturday, wash the car on Sunday, drive it to work on Monday...ever since Monday my car vibrates at speeds 70 mph +. I can feel the vibration in the seat and steering wheel but more so in the seat. Going 85 mph it gets even worse. My first appointment with the dealership was this past Saturday, May 18th where they balanced the two front tires and put air back in them. I am still having the same issue. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what I could tell the dearlership to look at? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
tyres have two dots on the sidewall, one is reference to the lightess point of the tyre and should be aligned with the valve when tyre is being mounted on the rim. The second dot references to harmonic vibration at certain speeds and if the first dot alignment with proper balancing does not help, then the second dot must be aligned and tyre rebalanced. Also if your tyres are high performance soft compound rubber, letting the car sitting for extended period of time will develop flat spot and you must run the car for a while to bring roundness back to tyre.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts