VW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Jetta Trek with a 2.0 vin code B. I've searched and haven't really found what the difference is between the A and B Vin codes. Both are listed as 2.0l 115hp. However, most parts places ask if its an A or B. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member
2,664 Posts
The only A and B's i know are in the engine and body description.

Engine code: ABA
Body code: A3

Just tell them you have a 1997 OBD2 2.0L 8V SOHC engine. Thats all the need to know to find parts

· Registered
80 Posts
Ya it does matter in the MK3 they made 4 different transmissions just for them (I know no one had my trans it was a hard find and the code that came up on my car said it was a diesel trans) so Vin does matter

· Registered
4 Posts
By the way, how can you find information by the VIN number in the public domain and remove information from the public domain that is searched for by the VIN number. On the site clean vin service https://www.removemyvin.com/ they helped me to do it quickly and professionally. The guys have been in this business for many years and I am very pleased with the work. They also answered all my questions about the VIN number very competently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts