VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so sorry if I posted in the wrong place. I am going to be getting my first car next month - and am looking at my options. I really like Volkswagens, and German cars in general, and have been considering one as a first car.

However, my only concerns are repair costs and how often I will have repairs. I will most likely be looking at a 03-06 model, either a Jetta, Golf/Rabbit, or GTI. My price range will be between $6-7k.

On average, how many repairs should I expect on a used VW? And how much should I expect to pay for those repairs/general maintenance?

My dad has owned a couple of VWs, and we've had good and bad luck with them. We had an older Golf TDI which was flawless except for the winter seasons. Then, we got a 2003 Jetta which had constant problems. There were problems with the breaks, windows, and leaks. It eventually was just too much to handle and we got rid of it. That car had a strange smell to it though and water and oil leaks, and we suspect that it may have been flooded (but we have no way to verify this). Don't get me wrong, I loved that Jetta, and really wished I could have had the chance to drive it now :(.

Basically, I want to make sure I'm not getting into something I can't afford. While the Jetta is one of my favorite cars, I don't want to be having constant problems.

What are your suggestions on this? Would you recommend for or against a VW for a first car?

Thanks for the help :)!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts