VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am having a weird problem with overheating in the car (Jetta 2009 2.5 SE) which happens intermittently and couple of checks at firestone did not reveal anything.

First time it happened, I did not realise it was overheating until dash light making sound and then I let the car cool for few hours and towed it to a firestone, they tried to replicate the issue and could not.

For next two weeks I was driving the vehicle without issues when I noticed gauge is going over 190 and rising, so I started the heater and temp came back to normal. Both of the time AC was working and when the over heating was happening, I could notice AC was not blowing cold air.

Again, I went to firestone nearby and then did pressure check and said no leaks and they cant replicate the issue and cant tell why it is overheating. Now I decided I will not switch on AC for next two weeks and the issue did not happen. Now yesterday I switched on AC at full fan speed and after some driving (not highway but city driving only), the AC was not blowing cold air and I could see the temperature was increasing and I switched off AC and put heater on and temperate became normal. After that I did not switch AC on and car did not overheat.

I took to another Firestone nearby and he said they cant tell and I should leave car for few days for them to figure out. This time when we switched car i idle mode with full AC, the fans were not working. BUt after switching off AC there is no issue. Today I switched on car idling for some time and fans were working when AC on and no overheating and without AC no fans needed.

While driving after 5-10minutes, I check the hood and sometime I see small fan working but sometime no fan on and no temperature overheating.

I do not think mechanic can find issues so wondering any inputs from anyone on what could be issue and is it OK if I keep driving car without AC (if it is not overheating or it can cause damage).

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like your fans aren't working properly. Amazon sells the whole fan shroud + the two fans for really low price $110. I bought it recently and replaced it in my car, it was a pretty easy DIY work.

For that kind of price it may be worth a shot!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts