VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it really only does it when its cold though. it did it a little bit this summer when it was hot but it does it every time in the cold it stops around 5k-6k rpms. It has done it sense i bought the car. I think someone pawned off there problem on to me, i hope its not an expensive fix.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
sounds like intake manifold shift rod.
slappy just did his and it sounded exactly like that..
he showed me at work one day and i cringed when i heard it first..
he put that shift rod in..
Bye bye noise..
i couldnt belieeve it

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you think the whole intake shift rod? or just the bushings? and do u know how much slappy paid for the rod? Cause i wanna fix it before it ruins my manifold more. Its been doing it sense i bought it so...

but thanks!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright well i looked it up online and it says for a new rod is 85 and the seals you need 2 for every new rod they are 28. so i should get 2 seal kits and the bushings and thats pretty much a new rod correct? the thing is i cant find the bushings anywhere? and i have an 01 so u think they are still using the 5 style bushings? not the new 2 style?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figure this much, I had $2000 worth of work done on my old 99.5 VR6 engine. and a month later i totaled it, i shoulda bought the car back but oh well. I just dont wanna spend more $$$ on the motor again, but that rattling is annoying as fuck. you think around 150 for everything? for that damn shift rod

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I can't get on youtube right now. Is the sound from 2k-4500k rpm? if so its the shift rod. Buy both kits and the shift rod. took me about 30-45 min to replace it. Be carefull when pulling old one out. pull out straight and it will slide out easy. when you install the new one it will be tight but don't force it in. tap with hand or rubber mallot. follow this thread for replacement. also, take off eng cover its easier to do it.
VWVortex.com - DIY - Replacing the shifter rod on a MKIV 12v VR6

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i did get onto youtube and that sounds like the shift rod. Sounds alot worse than mine did. replace it. When i replaced mine i also replaced my plugs and when i was done the vr6 came alive again. I must have been losing alot of power.

I will also try to get a sound clip of my exhaust and put it on youtube. It sounds awesome I think.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't get on youtube right now. Is the sound from 2k-4500k rpm? if so its the shift rod. Buy both kits and the shift rod. took me about 30-45 min to replace it. Be carefull when pulling old one out. pull out straight and it will slide out easy. when you install the new one it will be tight but don't force it in. tap with hand or rubber mallot. follow this thread for replacement. also, take off eng cover its easier to do it.
VWVortex.com - DIY - Replacing the shifter rod on a MKIV 12v VR6
Alrighty u know where i can get some bushings or did you just use the ones that came on the replacement rod? and yeah Im going to do the pluggs and wires at the same time. im excited to get my VR6 back sense i got this one with that rattle its nothing compared to my old one so i might have to race some ricers around here in Boise and turn some heads! did you get your rod from the ecs tuning?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Get the rod from ecstuning. Get the gasket kits from them also. Reason is the rod is like $140 from dealer and the gasket kit is $3 more @ the dealer. Do not, I repeat DO NOT just replace the bushings on old rod. If your in there and removing it then just do it right. And don't go crazy on plugs. Just get the oem ngk's from advanced auto.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get the rod from ecstuning. Get the gasket kits from them also. Reason is the rod is like $140 from dealer and the gasket kit is $3 more @ the dealer. Do not, I repeat DO NOT just replace the bushings on old rod. If your in there and removing it then just do it right. And don't go crazy on plugs. Just get the oem ngk's from advanced auto.
alright sweet! ill do that. thanks for the heads up. In that link u sent me on how to do it. does it show you where to put the seals and what not? sorry for all the q's from what i take it ur a mechanic and know what the hell ur doing lol

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
mechanic?
Ha.
we work at penske truck leasing..
basically break down cordinators.. we find u service so u dont rot away on the side of the road when our penske truck breaks down when ur moving your house..
or when ups is moving freight to deliver ur shift rod :-D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
follow the post and when you have it apart you will see what to replace. It explains it all you step by step. Are you in Pa? do you want me to do this repair for you? Its not hard.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mechanic?
Ha.
we work at penske truck leasing..
basically break down cordinators.. we find u service so u dont rot away on the side of the road when our penske truck breaks down when ur moving your house..
or when ups is moving freight to deliver ur shift rod :-D
haha well whatever works you guys are knowledgeable about it!:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts