VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It pains me to post this b/c it has probably been covered someplace but I can't really find it. I know normally the GIAC chip (for VR6) is supposed to be like 8-12hp (not so good). Would combining a chip with cams do a lot better? A possible upgrade path I am considering is exhuast, CAI, chip + cams. What kind of gains would one expect?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Cams will get you a lot of high end power, but you will sacrafice some in the low end. So the question you have to ask yourself is do you want it to be better for the street where you aren't going to be above 3500 RPM's often except when accellerating, or the track. I have a magazine with some dino tests of a VR6 with a cam, I will let you knwo more details about it later.

One way you could get lots of info about this is by calling shine racing, they install GIAC chips in MA. You could go there to get the chip too, that's where I got mine, and we talked a lot about cams when I was there.

[ February 21, 2004: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Custom burnt chips to cam will always provide a better gain. CAI never gives to much of a gain, 5hp max, and exhaust will give u about 10. Still not bad numbers. Brian(SilverGTI) is dynoing his car today, I dont know his mod list but hes got all the basics so I'm intrested to see his numbers

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The higher the duration in the cam, the higher it sends the powerband, shifting the power from off idle upwards to around 1500-2000 rpm. A good daily driver cam would be something like a 260 or a 264 degree cam. GIAC does offer chips that take advantage of cams like those, as well as higher duration cams like 270 and up.

I have a whole second head for my car that will be big valved, ported/polished, and FI cams are going in for the supercharger. The thing is I need to see if GIAC will work with me on a program to take advantage of a VF supercharger with a big valve head and cams...

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
well, I will post my actual dyno charts on a different post...but below (in my sig) are my mods that I have done to my vr. My best dyno run was 159 hp/154 tq. I didn't know what I would put out, but I was still kindof upset about the lower numbers. Of course, I do only have exhaust and intake. No major engine work done. I should be getting the email with the dyno charts soon. I will post in the mk4 forum when I get them.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
well, I will post my actual dyno charts on a different post...but below (in my sig) are my mods that I have done to my vr. My best dyno run was 159 hp/154 tq. I didn't know what I would put out, but I was still kindof upset about the lower numbers. Of course, I do only have exhaust and intake. No major engine work done. I should be getting the email with the dyno charts soon. I will post in the mk4 forum when I get them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's really surprising, I really want to get mine dynoed soon. I want to see what the chip and full exhaust are doing for me. Can't wait to get to the track and see how they are improving my times, too. You can brag about numbers all day, but it means nothing unless you can back up those numbers on the street. My Dad's Tiburon is 200 HP, but it's sooo damn slow. He is convinced it's faster than my car though.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
That's really surprising, I really want to get mine dynoed soon. I want to see what the chip and full exhaust are doing for me. Can't wait to get to the track and see how they are improving my times, too. You can brag about numbers all day, but it means nothing unless you can back up those numbers on the street. My Dad's Tiburon is 200 HP, but it's sooo damn slow. He is convinced it's faster than my car though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brett - next time you are back around Mass and if we both have some free time maybe you could take me for a cruise eh? I'd be interested for the suspension as well. That and I feel like I should meet my local vwf people - why not eh?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
You don't really need to buy an intake manifold for a Mark 4 VR6...it already has the variable intake..the only way I would replace it is if I went to a turbo system that requires a different intake setup.

What you most likely refer to is the Shrick variable intake...its a good upgrade for Mark 3s, but requires a lot of parts changing to work on a Mark 4 with not a whole lot of gain in return.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Here you go, a dyno from a 12V VR6 with only 256 cams and a GIAC chip:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not too bad- the cams seem to do nothing for the low end but fortunately don't seem to hurt from what I can tell. I don't know what cams + chip cost total but a 20+whp gain is solid. Add in CAI and Exhaust and we could be looking at maybe a 30-35whp gain total. Correct me if I'm being way too optimistic haha.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
VRs suck.
I'd race any of you with my stock 2.0 and romp on you!

and maybe I am a little jealous of the nice exhaust tones.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 words for you on exhaust tone Raf - FART CAN! Do it up - you'll get all kinds of respect from the ricers and it will sound like your car is tearing ass everywhere you go!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Or you could spend $700-800 for a very well equipped and properly setup nitrous kit and be at 220-230whp safely.....

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
Or you could spend $700-800 for a very well equipped and properly setup nitrous kit and be at 220-230whp safely.....

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could haha - but I want more power all the time - not just when I press the magic button

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ya, but with nitrous you also get the cool halucinogenic scenery every time you hit the buttons, everything gets all streaky and turns blue and green and stuffff....

Hit the nawz man!

·
Registered
210 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Ya, but with nitrous you also get the cool halucinogenic scenery every time you hit the buttons, everything gets all streaky and turns blue and green and stuffff....

Hit the nawz man!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that only happened in the fast and the furious.... i could be wrong though

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
Not too bad- the cams seem to do nothing for the low end but fortunately don't seem to hurt from what I can tell. I don't know what cams + chip cost total but a 20+whp gain is solid. Add in CAI and Exhaust and we could be looking at maybe a 30-35whp gain total. Correct me if I'm being way too optimistic haha.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not being overly optimistic I don't think. You just have to keep in mind, the cams cost, what, somthing like $500 for the VR6, then add in a couple hundred to tear apart your engine and put them in, and $300 for the chip. You are talking at LEAST $1000 unless you can find a good deal on the cams and know someone who can install them. I'm sure you could find someone around here to help you with that. ALso, if you are doing cams, I would replace some other parts while you are in there that need replacing. I'm sure someone who knows engines better than me will chime in and give suggestions as to what else you can replace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts