VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Heater Core blew up and spewed steam and Glycol all over me last week. I was quite dizzy and high for sometime. The car water temp raised to 230 or so and stabilized enough for me to get home. The oil temp climbed to 240 and stabilzed.

Today, I circumvented the Heater Core at the firewall with a 69 cent 14/16" copper union. Now the car is again running tip top at about 195 operating temp and 220 oil (without any heat of course).

I called my local shop to price getting the Heater core changed (because my time is short right now) and it was priced as a 7 hr job to remove every bit of the dash, replace heater core, and clean out and replace antifreeze.

The price was around 900.00 bucks due to the intensive labor -so needless to say I will be doing this myself.

As somebody who has taken many a dash apart many times, I feel like this should be no problem to replace the heater core.

What am I missing? Is there a trick or problem that makes it a 7 hour shop job?

I just don't see what the big deal is? I can get a core for 41.00 new.

Somebody talk me out of it, if you can think of a good reason.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
You dont even need to remove the dash apparently, it can be removed from the engine bay but you need to discharge your AC if its equipped. I will scan you the page for replacing the heater core, sounds pretty easy actually. Seems like that shop was giving you the ol' run around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts