VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I am back again.
I have a 2000 Jetta, VR6, 5-speed, 88K miles. I just fixed the fuel pump relay problem (so far as I can tell), but now something else has happened.

1, the CEL is on.
2, it hesitates and sputters when I "blip" the throttle at idle.
3, (here is the weird part) when I first started it after sitting for a couple days, it idled rough and ejected a trickle of water (maybe a 1/2 cup) out the tailpipe. But then I heard a high pitched whirring sound from up near the engine and it suddenly ran smooth again and the water stopped. WTH?

I am suspicious of the fuel pressure regulator (regarding item #2) but could not find the port to test it? ANyone know where that is and what the pressure should be?

Sorry I do not have a manual or code readers to help, and I can'ty afford to pay a shop right now to fix this thing. Thanks for your ideas.
Jack
Placerville, CA

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
did it sound like the intake manifold shift rod??

i know it sounds stupid.. but xxboraxx made a nice write up on it.. under the mk4 diy sticky thread.. he has a vid.. and you can hear the sound..
let me know if that sounds similar?

are you positive it was water? or was it coolant..?

any chance for you to get the car to do it again and post a vid? even if its a cell phone vid?

can you drive it to autozone or something like that and have them pull the codes? they do it for free.. if we can get the codes.. we can help you alot more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, fukn (How do you pronounce that? :) )

OK, definitely no sound like the manifold shift rod. Nothing like that.

It was definitely water, not coolant. I have all fresh VW coolant in the car because I just did the "crack pipe" repair a month ago and flushed/refilled. The water out the tail pipe was clear and pretty much odorless.

I did meet a guy on line who has a VW shop in my area and is willing to read the codes for free. If he seems cool and if the price is affordable, I will just let him fix it. The crack pipe fix took me an entire weekend and then the fuel pump relay and now this... I'm just sorta burned out. I have a motorcycle I usually get to tinker with, but not lately...

Whether I fix it or the shop does, I will post on here the results. And yes, I will let the car sit a another day and then have the video cam handy when I start it up.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
The water is just condensation. Fairly normal. As for the noise I'm guessing it is the sai pump kicking on. Almost sounds like a turbo? Normal. If you have not dine a tune up, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, check for cracked coil pack m, clean the maf. Sensor. Scanning it is where I would start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fudardub, yes it does sound like a turbo spooling up. What's that about? Like I said, it was idling rough and then I heard that sound, then she smoothed right out.

Anyway, yeah, I already did the plugs and wires back when I bought her a few months ago, but have not cleaned the MAF or done the fuel filter.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
well that turbo sound.. is the sound of like he said the secondairy air..

what it basically does in a nut shell is its a bump that runs when the car is started on a cold start up, and basically will heat the catalytic converter at an accelerated pace to get it running temp. once at running temp.. the cars exhaust will maintain it and the secondairy air will only kick in once and a while..

as for it running rough.. thats odd... does it do it all the time? or was this just a fluke?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's done it the last two times on cold start up. But I still have not sorted out the CEL, so it may be related to that. Maybe whenever I get the CEL thing sorted and fixed, it will also be that rememdy. Don't know, but will report back.

Thanks for the explanation, BTW. Watching it happen when you do not know what is happening is kinda weird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts