VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping around for GTIs and am wondering which I should get. VR6 or 1.8t?

Is there anything i should check out when looking at getting a used GTI??

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Ahhh the never ending questions of the 1.8t or VR6. Try searching and reading a bit under the MK4 forum TONS AND TONS of posts on this.

It really comes down to a few questions.

1) What can you afford, if money is no object then this question does not apply.

2) Do you plan to do any engine mods within the first few years of the cars life.

a. If the answer is yes then the 1.8T has tons of potential.

b. If the answer is no then the VR6 will give you lots of torque to keep you satified.

I own both a 1.8T & a VR6 I love them both. All in all they are both great solid engines. The 6 gives you a little more power and more options but the 1.8T with a few hop ups is right there.

That's my 2 bits, best of luck!

P.S. Welcome to VWF!!!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I own a VR6, and I love it. If you are not planning any engine mods, you can't go wrong with the VR6, great engine. However, one nice thing about the 1.8t is that there are a lot more bolt ons for it. Also, a Garret chip alone will add something like 40HP. Don't hold me to that, it's around there though. There are a lot of turbo components you can upgrade on it also. Neuspeed makes a kit for it actually. Also, you can upgrade the turbo itself. On the other hand, you put a stage I turbo on the VR6, there you have 330 HP. But that is also $5000. So basically, to add to what db said, if you have lots of money to spend on upgrades, go with the VR6, in the end you will get more power. If you have a little money to spend on upgrades, the 1.8T might be the best option.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i love my 1.8t but if i wanted to get the vr6 id just wait for the r32
...anyway the turbo has way more possibilities

·
Registered
324 Posts
I love my VR6 mostly cause its a v6 and sounds beefy as hell with my exhaust. But yeah, nothing cooler than the sound of a bad ass blow off valve on a turbo. SO basically, I am of little help. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would go with the 1.8t. So what if you don't get all the extra hp the vr6's have. 1.8t's are better for mods that would outrun the vr6. On the otherhand, the volkswagen vr6 engine is one of the toughest engines on the market. They are unbreakable. And all you vr6 owners', don't think i'm dissing you guys, cause i am a fellow vr6 owner.

·
Registered
273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheBoraDJ:
But yeah, nothing cooler than the sound of a bad ass blow off valve on a turbo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true, although you really can't make a wrong choice here. (I like turbo but am biased by the fact that I own one and enjoy the whistling of it)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts