VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I originally posted this gripe under the "vr6 engine idle" thread. Anyway, I just had my 2000 Jetta GLX into the dealership and they said I need a new MAF sensor, new fuel pressure regulator, and possibly a purge regulator valve. Pricetag = $700. Who here thinks that's too much for a 2000 car with 42K miles???? Am I just a naive new dub owner???

·
Registered
174 Posts
Those are not exactly "wear and tear" items now are they? I'd be more than pissed.

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: JimmyC ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Now you just got this car recently? Was it a certified preowned? If so i really can't see how this is a wear and tear item. Now if it isn't a Cert Preowned. i can see it costing that much.
jon

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
It does not surprise me at all that it will cost this much. German cars are not cheap to fix. I would try calling VW's customer service number if you are upset, they have been very helpful to me about repairs that I shouldn't have to pay for. They have saved me probablt $800 or so.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some interesting developments....

-called vw of america, they told me none of the repairs are under warranty.

-dealership that has my car agrees.

-2 independant garages practically refused to do the work b/c they think it should be under warranty.

-Finally, I spoke with a very nice lady at Brookline VW, evidently all cars registered in massachusetts, regardless of where they were originally purchased, are covered by a mandatory 7 year/70K mile emissions warranty (includes MAF sensor). I figured all MA dubbers would like to know this....

Moral of this story? Don't trust anyone WRT warranty info, not even VW of America OR dealers, keep calling into someone tells you what you want to hear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just broke the lease on my 2000 VR6 and threw myelf into my NBC! The Jetta had just become such a headache and with the miles piling up (I turned the car in at 60,700 with a year to go on a 48,000/4 year lease). Things were just breaking left and right:
Alarm horn inoperable
Regular horn sounded like it belonged to
a Saturn.
Water pump leak
Coolant leak
Windows fixed 3 times and still didn't
work
Center console closing clasp broke
Glove comparment arm broke.

These are just a few of things that went wrong with the car. It's not that I abused it or didn't keep up with the maintenence. I don't know what the problem was. But still, even with all those problems I still got another VW. Some things are just worth it.
Hopefully I'll have better luck with this car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts