VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my friend-Greg(who is into volvos (but has a mk3 golf-he knows about cars and tuning in general). He metioned that I should get uprated spark plug wires. I got Denso Iridiums a while ago, and they seem to do a good job. Greg said that without bigger wires, I am not getting all I could out of the plugs. So my question is, has anyone get uprated plug wires? Any suggestions? I know the bigger wires will not fit in my engine cover...are there any suggestions on how to hold them down (zipties)?

Also, Greg also metioned about me getting my vr tuned. Are there any recommended things I should have done/do with the help of my friend? Please let me know. I want to have my car for a long time, and it is getting up there in miles (88k+), and I would like it to have some more "umf" too..thanks in advance.

·
Registered
777 Posts
brian, the factory vw plug wires are actually reallly good, if your still on your first set at 88k its definately time for a new set! love the new sig by the way....

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks marcus. but having the denso plugs, you dont think I should get bigger plug wires? Thanks on the sig..haha

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You don't need new wires. That's one of the wonderful things about German cars, a lot of the parts that come on them from the factory are just as good as aftermarket parts. You're just as well off buying OEM wires, and you will save money.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The only reason I would change Spark Plug wires would be to get wires that are a different color. OEM wires are usually good, but if you have a red car and paint your engine cover body color, something needs to stand out...

Wire selection is pretty limited for Mark 4 VR6es, but I know Rapid Parts sells Blue Igniters that are just as good as OEM, and perhaps a tad cheaper.

Neuspeed also sells wires...don't know how good the quality is though.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Brian I was also told to keep my stock VR wires. I asked the same question when I upgraded to Denso's as well. I suggest you hang with my this summer when APTuning tunes mine so you can get a taste for things you can upgrade on yours.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will def do that Dave. APT is pretty close to my place, so it's an easy drive, and would def be a good time haning out at a tuning shop for a few days. Carson, I am throwing around the idea of having some paint work done in the engine bay..dont know exactly what, but should I still change my wires (cause I have 88k+ miles on the engine)? Thanks guys!!!

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Brian I was also told to keep my stock VR wires. I asked the same question when I upgraded to Denso's as well. I suggest you hang with my this summer when APTuning tunes mine so you can get a taste for things you can upgrade on yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts