VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the last few weeks I have heard a "supercharger" type of whine coming from my engine bay constantly when I drive. 2 weekends ago, I noticed a rattle which sounded like it was near my alternator. Also, when I start up, there is a a short squeel (less than a second long). I dont know what these things could be, but I would like my car to stop making these noises! I just got my serpentine belt changed (with my 80k mile service), and have my new oil pan on as well. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks!!!

[ December 17, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
777 Posts
i need to change my belts, can you DIY or is it another must pull the motor thing???

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh I forgot to say that the squeel on the startup was happening before I got my serpentine belt replaced. So, it has been happening before and after I had a new belt on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting thing happened with my VW (2000/GTI/VR6/GLX/60,000 miles) 3 weeks ago...had a bunch of issues all occuring at once (heated seat failed, window failed, MAF sensor failed, and A SQUEEKY WHINE FROM THE ENGINE). The sqeeky whine from the engine and heated seat turned out to be the only things they wouldn't fix for free. I thought the whine was a bad bearing on one of the pulleys that the serpentine belt engages. WRONG. Turned out to be a bad change over valve (I hadn't heard of it either) which is part of the throttle mechanism. $375 to fix. The whine occured across all engine RPMs but varied i pitch. It was most noticeable when accelerating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts