VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing a vr6 swap into my '87 2dr mkII jetta and i wouldnt mind turbo charging it either. icrossed over from the honda scene but was always and still is a big bimmer fan, but for now im goin vr ibeen trying to find the best info on doin it myself so i can get the experience i hope fully can become a wiz around vr's, i know people who swappped the motor in like 4 hours but in a 89 and 90 shell. what type of work am i in for? and where other sources can i tap to make sure igather nuff info? also a turbo vr in a coupe jetta, is it worth the work?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Worth it, that depends on your idea of being worth it. It will be awsome, but when you come to resell it, you wont get crap for it. You can pick up a normal vr mk2 for 3500$ easy... We have a fellow member doing a vr swap into an mk2 gti. Not to steer u away from VWF, but www.vwvortex.com is a plethera of information on the topic, keep in mind they are assholes and if you have any specific questions come to us. But there are countless examples of vr mk2s on there.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am in the process of getting the parts to do a vr swap myself. I've got the engine, wire harness and ecu already i just need a tranny, and the plus suspension. I probably won't be doing the swap till like april though because I am a little short on funding. Good luck on doing your swap. I have never heard of anyone doing a vr swap in 4 hrs. though. It takes most a few weekends I'd say . fastest swap I've heard of is 8hrs. by someone who has done a bunch of them. A kid I went to school with owns a vw shop and does it in a weekend, but he has done about 20 swaps and has a shop with lifts and all kinds of tools. he also has a turbo vr gti that runs in the low 10's. So being as you don't have a lot of background in vw's I would say it will take you a while to do it right. Check out the futrell autowerks site first and then do a search on vwvortex.com in the hybrid/swaps forums. Vr swap info has been discussed on the vortex alot so check out the info already posted there first because the vortexers don't like answering stuff they have already gone over a hundred times so you won't get many responses.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i read about the harness situation. ive been thinkin should i get another 2dr 91 jetta i seen. its just ifigure my being a wolfsburg edition wouldve been a lil bit more unique, prob dosent make a difference. good look on the reply

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ihavent found a clip or a salvage yard that satisfies my euro needs like that, so what parts can i use from my original car during the swap, or does everything have to go?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can i use a full coiloversetup or another setup instead of tracking down a corrado shell, which is almost impossible. how about the cross member>

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwspeed97:
would the weight of a vr come into an issue with a mk2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh Derek, They handle like crap...Weight Balance is just to nose heavy to alow good handling, but give it a straight line and it will shine.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Yeh Derek, They handle like crap...Weight Balance is just to nose heavy to alow good handling, but give it a straight line and it will shine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, i know a couple people who had vr swapped mk2's and they handled pretty good. I've heard(from vortex so don't know if 100% true) but the vr doesn't weigh much mnore then a 2.0 16v. Iw on't handle as well s if it had an 8v in it but you can still get ti to handle well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts