VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iwas wonderin if any one who's swap many of vr's in their time into the mkII shell, could give me a run down of what id need to fit my vr in my mkII jetta as far as parts from other vehicles is concern. i read the article on furtellautowerks.com about the sawp it was very informant but i was looking for maybe alil more detail what im gonna have to track down.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
A Corrado minus the body, interior, and rear beam.

Really, The engine, trans, both subframes, wiring harness, ecu, , pedal cluster, shift box and cables. Probably want the radiator too. This stuff can also come from a Passat. I know the front subframe fits from the Passat, I think the rear does too. MK3 subframes mount the motor to high and you can't close the hood.

If you want the 5-lug stuff you'll need the steering knuckles with rotors and calipers, and the rear rotors.

I think early MK3 VR6 Axles or Corrado axles are the right ones, but I'm not sure.

Start with OBD1 stuff. It will make life easier on you since the wiring goes much better. If you use OBD2 stuff I think you have to swap out the speedo cluster too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
pretty much what he said. I'd say def go with the plus suspension. Do some research on the vortex. Search thier archives for parts list. The topics been covered there numerous times and a lot of vortexers have done the swaps so you should be able to find your info there. It really depends on how much you have to spend and how mechanically inclined you are. Some stuff will work with modifications. If you have the money you could get all the stuff in a swap package from some people. I know a guy who sells the swap for $3500. It may be a little high but it's got everything you need and he will answer any of your questions about the swap. there are also people on the vortex selling mkII's with the swap already done for close to that. If you don't have that kind of money you can do what I'm doing, piece the swap together as you find deals on the parts. Takes a little longer but you can save some cash if you are patient.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats cool vice but whats the difference between obd1 &obdII? how can i get the best understanding of the wiring concept?

·
Registered
112 Posts
yeah you can still have a/c but you may need some mk3 stuff to get it to work. You can also upgrade to abs if you want but that's more work as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
On board diagnostics basically alot more sensors up stream and downstream O2 sensors alot more wires to make it simple lol it is a headache to work with he is dead on OBD1 ALL THE WAY it has alot to do with emissions and the way you can communicate with the ecu to pull codes and what have you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts