VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometime in the next 6 months im planning on buying an MK2 Jetta. Since the engines from the MK2 platform arent as strong as id like, i want to swap in a MK3 VR6...i know this has been done successfully many times, but id like to hear from you in aspect of cost and the location of places in central pa that would do a good job...currently wicked perf. in york has my vote, unless i can get it done somewhere else for cheaper and the same quality...please let me know whats up...thanks alot
--dave--

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im fully aware that a VR6 out of a corrado would be simpler due to the fact the corrado sits on the A2 chassis, but if theres not a whole lot more work id rather have a vr6 out of an mk3 because itd be a newer engine and would be easier to find a lower mileage engine..also ive heard the mk3 vr6 would require modifications to the subframe and suspension..what might those be? any help is great..thanks

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If you aren't doing the work check out APTuning. I hear tons of good stuff about them. check out their link on the front page of the site. the mk3 subframe fits , the passat is a little wider then teh others. I heard of people using it but it sets the wheels out far. The mk3 plus suspension works fine as well. But i think you need to use a corrado radiator and stuff. Not sure though. Josh was right about the prices if you aren't doing it yourself. But unless you get an extremely low mileage motor it shouldn't cost more then 6 or 7k. And that's a little high. Your best bet is to get a raddo. They aren't much older then the mk3's and many can be found with good mileage. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I thought coraddos were mk3s? Am I wrong? I would try to find a raddo with rear-end damage, and transfer parts from the raddo to the mk2 jetta. best.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
I thought coraddos were mk3s? Am I wrong? I would try to find a raddo with rear-end damage, and transfer parts from the raddo to the mk2 jetta. best.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

raddo's are mk2's. the raddo's are 2.8's also, same as the mk3. The only difference i'm aware fo are the later mk3's were odb2. but once again, i don't own a raddo so i might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I am confused on the 12v VR6 motor. Some places say it is a 2.9L, while others say it is a 2.8L. The 2.9L i remember were from Corrado SLC's, anybody know anything about this?? But a 2.8L would make more sense, seeing how thats the motor that Audi uses.

·
Registered
759 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vlksgnspeed:
ud be better off with the rado i think because its a 2.9 vr6 and because of the mounting thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also thought that the rados were 2.8s

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Kids kids... Corrado or MK3... they're the same motor. Both 2.8.

It's best to use the Corrado subframe since the hood wont clear the motor with the MK3 subframe and mounts. I've heard of people using it... you just have to drill some holes to make it work. Same goes for Passat stuff.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
either way u look at it...it is still a 6 thousand dollar swap...i can get u the motor for possibly 700-900 dollars but u have to change almost everything on the fuckin thing...its a chore which should be done by someone who honestly knowa what their doing...id say ngp racing for a complete well done job

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for the responses. It seems like this involved alot of hard work, but in the end it will be undoubtably worth it, perhaps ill buy a used Mk2 Jetta with a vr6 swap from someone from the forum or maybe the 'tex and just turbo that engine...money is the only thing holding me back..if you know of anyone interested in selling a vr6 powered mk2 jetta or golf down the road for around 4 grand..email me at [email protected] would be around july or august till i have the money because il be working and have hopefully sold my saturn that my mom is giving me...thanks again guys, your help is greatly appreciated
--Dave--

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I'd do it for $1500 labor if you brought me the parts... sucks you're on the other side of the country. A whole wrecked Rado at a insurance auction will usually cost you around $2000.

Dean Futrell charges $7000 labor... and that's if you bring him both complete cars (the Rado and the Golf/Jetta.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue92mk2:
its a chore which should be done by someone who honestly knowa what their doing...id say ngp racing for a complete well done job<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That takes away all the fun. The only way to learn how to do stuff is to dive in head first. If i let somone else do my work everytime i didn't know how to do it i wouold be more broke and would know way less then i do about my car. It's alot more fun when you drive somthing you created. and i hear some iffy things about ngp. I still say call APTuning since your closer to them. good luck

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Dave, on the TEX theres always a few mk2vr6 jettas for aroound 4k. I talked to Tom at Aptunning and he said about 4k for the swap (that was into a mk2 golf, and price is very closes for a 1.8t). dont goo to NGP, iffy things...talk too Tom and see what he has to say

::Tim, shrink your damn Sig picture it's huge and anoying::

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
ok first of all its great to dive into a project like that urself if u have the money to afford fuck ups but being a 17 year old doesnt have that option...second of all i forgot that ngp is "iffy" even though they have created some of the fastests and well tuned vw's there are but what do i know and everyone that takes there car there...and finally dakoda if ur so bothered by it then help me fix it but for now leave it up to the moderaters to say somethin

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue92mk2:
ok first of all its great to dive into a project like that urself if u have the money to afford fuck ups but being a 17 year old doesnt have that option...second of all i forgot that ngp is "iffy" even though they have created some of the fastests and well tuned vw's there are but what do i know and everyone that takes there car there...and finally dakoda if ur so bothered by it then help me fix it but for now leave it up to the moderaters to say somethin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i see what you're saying, but if he cn afford a vr6 swap then most likly he's not too broke. And you said leave it to the mods. well shrink it.
j/k. it is a little big but not too bad. just don't make your sig any bigger. I do like the pic though. talk to mk3girl about ngp. and there was another guy on here who had a major problem with them. Not saying everything they do is bad but i wouldn't trust my car to those guys.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
ok first of all its great to dive into a project like that urself if u have the money to afford fuck ups but being a 17 year old doesnt have that option...second of all i forgot that ngp is "iffy" even though they have created some of the fastests and well tuned vw's there are but what do i know and everyone that takes there car there...and finally dakoda if ur so bothered by it then help me fix it but for now leave it up to the moderaters to say somethin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh Tim
Here Tim!!!!!! ass #1 moderator said something in one of the 50 post about vdub tunnig...

Dave has the money, and everyone has to learn sometime, u should have done ur swap urself, its one of the easiest there is. Dave it will happen, ignore people that put it down.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

here is my opinion...if that was my only car, I would have a shop do it. another thing, even if I had the resources, but not have the know-how, I wouldn't go head first into something as complicated as an engine swap. If you dont know your way inside and out of cars/mechanics, it would be stupid to even start the project alone. Have a shop do it. you know that way that it will be done correctly (if it is a reliable shop). I have heard good things about wicked performance. I have also heard very good things from APTuning. APT is also a sponsor of the forum. It would be good to support those who support us. You can learn alot about your car by doing lots of research and doing regular maintenance on it. Thats what I would do if I were in your position. I would, at some point, do a swap, and project car on my own. with time, money, and experience, I will do so.

And Tim. I emailed you a few times about your signature size. I am a moderator (not of this board, but I am a vwf moderator non-the-less). I will re-do your signature tonight (at a resonable size) and email it to you to host. cool? thanks.

[ December 13, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
here is my opinion...if that was my only car, I would have a shop do it. another thing, even if I had the resources, but not have the know-how, I wouldn't go head first into something as complicated as an engine swap. If you dont know your way inside and out of cars/mechanics, it would be stupid to even start the project alone. Have a shop do it. you know that way that it will be done correctly (if it is a reliable shop). I have heard good things about wicked performance. I have also heard very good things from APTuning. APT is also a sponsor of the forum. It would be good to support those who support us. You can learn alot about your car by doing lots of research and doing regular maintenance on it. Thats what I would do if I were in your position. I would, at some point, do a swap, and project car on my own. with time, money, and experience, I will do so.

And Tim. I emailed you a few times about your signature size. I am a moderator (not of this board, but I am a vwf moderator non-the-less). I will re-do your signature tonight (at a resonable size) and email it to you to host. cool? thanks.

[ December 13, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well put Brian, we will not be atempting the swap ourselves, we have the resources and we have the money and everything, but it is a big project. We know enough people that could help us through it. If Dave wants us to atempt it, why not try, the amount of time the car is down doesnt matter and if you were to take your time and not cut corners I think it could work out. Agreed its a hell of a step to take, and mabye we are all just young and stupid, but everyone has to learn sometime right? lol oh well thats a few mounths away

1 - 20 of 21 Posts