VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the vw world but have been tuning forever i'm looking for a complete turbo kit for a 2000 gti vr6. I found Eip tunings kit but I hear bad things about there service has any one else delt with them before or know anybody with a good kit.also if anybody knows any websites for parts or services for my car, that would be really appreiciated
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,420 Posts
APTuning in PA. They sell ATP kits for the VR6. I know their stage 1 yields 250 WHP and costs $3100 complete. Not sure about stage 2, 3, etc... I am thinking about trying to get the money for a stage 1 this summer.

Where in CT are you, go to school at Quinnipiac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
ATP kits are NOT complete turbo kits. You will need to purchase aditional parts to get the kit to run properly. EIP has been known for its bad customer service but they have stepped up to the plate and lately alot of stories are about how they have done a 180 and have good customer service. I have no personal expiernce with them tho. Your best but for a "complete" kit would be take it to a performance shop and have them build one. Far as I know, there are no "Complete" turbo kits for the vr6. Are you inclined enough to install your own turbo kit or will you have the work done at a shop?

Welcome to VWF, You will love it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
APTuning in PA. They sell ATP kits for the VR6. I know their stage 1 yields 250 WHP and costs $3100 complete. Not sure about stage 2, 3, etc... I am thinking about trying to get the money for a stage 1 this summer.

Where in CT are you, go to school at Quinnipiac.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ATP stage I is 250whp? I'll have to edit my post in the resources section - whoops!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
ATP kits are NOT complete turbo kits. You will need to purchase aditional parts to get the kit to run properly. EIP has been known for its bad customer service but they have stepped up to the plate and lately alot of stories are about how they have done a 180 and have good customer service. I have no personal expiernce with them tho. Your best but for a "complete" kit would be take it to a performance shop and have them build one. Far as I know, there are no "Complete" turbo kits for the vr6. Are you inclined enough to install your own turbo kit or will you have the work done at a shop?

Welcome to VWF, You will love it here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is the ATP kit not a complete kit. i know u have to tune you car and do some adjustments. whats not complete??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,993 Posts
The VR6 is an overbuilt motor...it was actually designed to be either a gas or diesel engine, which makes it inherently strong. Forged Crank, Forged Connecting rods and such...for high boost apps, I would change the pistons, but for up to 9 psi, the stockers should be fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
The VR6 is an overbuilt motor...it was actually designed to be either a gas or diesel engine, which makes it inherently strong. Forged Crank, Forged Connecting rods and such...for high boost apps, I would change the pistons, but for up to 9 psi, the stockers should be fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're saying unless you're running above 9PSI, in theory you COULD just buy the ATP kit and throw it on and be good to go? What about warrantys? Let's say you put the kit on and you do major damage, will ATP cover that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
So you're saying unless you're running above 9PSI, in theory you COULD just buy the ATP kit and throw it on and be good to go? What about warrantys? Let's say you put the kit on and you do major damage, will ATP cover that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really thinking about doing this up brett?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
You really thinking about doing this up brett?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll see, depends on a few things:

1. How much money am I making this summer
2. Other car repairs
3. Other mods I will have to do in order to have the turbo (Hence my participation in this thread)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
We'll see, depends on a few things:

1. How much money am I making this summer
2. Other car repairs
3. Other mods I will have to do in order to have the turbo (Hence my participation in this thread)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where you thinking of getting it done if it comes to that? I don't know any shops around here for that sort of things since I am relatively new to the scene.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
Wait, so you can run the ATP stage one kit without buying additional parts? You can use the stock fule system? I'v always though that you couldn't, that the injectors, pump, and FPR wouldn't be able to handle the demand...someone please clear me up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Wait, so you can run the ATP stage one kit without buying additional parts? You can use the stock fule system? I'v always though that you couldn't, that the injectors, pump, and FPR wouldn't be able to handle the demand...someone please clear me up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya u can and it will run good.....mine is going in soon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Wait, so you can run the ATP stage one kit without buying additional parts? You can use the stock fule system? I'v always though that you couldn't, that the injectors, pump, and FPR wouldn't be able to handle the demand...someone please clear me up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ATP stage I is designed for a complete stock motor. The software's fuel mapping is for stock injectors. Actually, EIP's MKIV stage I is 300hp (video on their site) on a all stock motor including compression. Stock MKIV injectors are actually alittle more reliable than the MKIII motor and can stay functional at higher horsepower. The stock Bosch FPR's are actually a great unit. Perfect 1:1 rate. It is on my motor that produces 400+ so it should work on a stage I quite nicely
.

It really is a hit or miss game here fellows. The best way to determine if your motor is up to the task of FI is to do a compression test. The stock VR6 rings are usually the failure point with FI a stock motor. A compression test will give you what you need to know as far as what kind of shape they are in. Stock rods are pretty much good for near 375-400hp. Once again it is all in how well the motor was treated so in perfect situation reaching 400hp on stock rods is not out of the question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Thank You Andy. I learn something new everyday on here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem man, glad I could be of some assistance
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matt00gti:
thanks for the info. straz85 im in new milford about 20 minutes north of danbury<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When it's nice out I go to a GTG at the Milford Krispy Kreme every Wednesday night. You could come by when it starts up again, can't imagine it will be long.

As far as the turbo goes, this is exactly what I wanted to hear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
this kid a saw at Rapid Parts had Corrado G60 with a turbo conversion, atp manifold,stand alone engine managament,gt28rs turbo, its going to be nasty once he tuns it. He is expecting low 12's
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top