·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a reliable turbo kit for vr6

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
VR6 and reliable don't exactly go together normally... when you add turbo in there, it just gets worse.

I like ATP myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why is that because its only 12 valvue or because i'm just adding a turbo

·
Registered
175 Posts
The turbo may add some complications. APT makes real nice setups. I know this shop in Bangor, PA that does some amazing turbo VR6 setups with APT parts. They told me about $6000 for a full setup including stand alone engine management, intercooler, T3/T04 turbo, and full installation. They have several turbo vr6 cars at the shop including the second fastest A2 in north America and Canada. They are called MMI Concepts and I would look them up if you are serious about it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
what aboub garrett man u think of that
there is a dude who goes to raceway park with a stage 3 garrett in his vr6 and he runs 9's

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just wanted to give MMI Concepts in Bangor, Pa some props on their work too. If you have the money and want a turbo setup definitely look these guys up. I think the number is (610)-588-3166. They built a mkII GTI vr6 turbo that runs in the low 10's and are pretty knowlegable in vw's. They would be happy to answer any of your questions.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
VR6 and reliable don't exactly go together normally... when you add turbo in there, it just gets worse.

I like ATP myself.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My VR6 is pretty reliable I think. That could definitely change with a TC on there!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if u have a 1.8t and get a turbo upgrade. it would be more realable than a vr6

·
Registered
830 Posts
I hate to be that guy with a contradicting opinion but what makes everyone say VR6T's are unreliable? I think maybe it is because alot of the VRT cars running around today are what you would call more "junkyard" setups. Stock fuel system, stock compression or 310cc's, never doing a bleed down on the motor to see if it is good for turbo or not and most importantly poor tuning. Yes, I threw a rod through the block but I was pushing over 440hp on stock shot peened rods and stand alone. I think it goes by the old saying of "do it right the first time or not at all" concept. Alot of guys are running around on ill-mapped software for their cars and more than likely a well worn in VR6. If you are thinking of going turbo do a compression check and if that comes out good than put something together that follows the lines of a ATP, EIP or Schimmel setup. Then pay a reputable tuner for some dyno time to iron out the timing, A/F, etc. Then you could have a reliable car that could be daily driven. I think it is the person doing the work on the car that makes it unreliable, not the motor

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Another big problem lies in the fact that a turbo VR just makes too much damn torque when turboed for street use.

Not that this is a bad thing... but go watch some vids of Brian's car right after te first turbo system (when it was still a street car). He touches the throttle... it spins the tires.

A well built VRT can be reliable. I've just always thought the 12 valve VR had too many cylinders and not enough valves.

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
Another big problem lies in the fact that a turbo VR just makes too much damn torque when turboed for street use.

Not that this is a bad thing... but go watch some vids of Brian's car right after te first turbo system (when it was still a street car). He touches the throttle... it spins the tires.

A well built VRT can be reliable. I've just always thought the 12 valve VR had too many cylinders and not enough valves.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The torque a VR6 makes sometimes can be a big minus on the street. If you can tune the car for gradual boost build and a great suspension/tire setup can do wonders

The 12V head definately holds back the potential of the motor but when you can still throw down 400+hp on minmimal boost I don't know if I can actually say it is a hindering factor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts