VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
i'll be buying a new car sometime in the next 6 months, and i want something with some real balls. i was thinking japanese, purely for power potential, (nissan z, evo if i can find one,) but i have a golf now, and frankly dig the hell out of VW, so im investigating the possibility of getting a new GTI vr6, putting a turbo in it, i want to know how easily that can happen (assuming money isnt really an issue) and what kind of HP it would be putting out. I wonder why VW dosent make any from the factory that way...something to compete with the big boys. let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
well for u american's in about 3 months you'll have something that could compete. the golf r32 will be released in america. check THIS THREAD OUT

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You could also get a GTI 1.8T and do some mods, and for only a couple grand be running high 13's to low 14's in the 1/4 mile. If you do a VR6T you are talking upwards of $5000 plus install for the turbo kit, plus whatever other mods you will need (exhaust, suspension etc.). I think a stage 3 turbo on a VR will put you around 330HP maybe.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
u'll probably need some luck to pick up the r32. however i did see a turbo'd one somewhere in a mag and that one was bad a$$

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
VR6 turbos are a very expensive endevour, well worth it in all respects, but very expensive. Although if you were possibly thinking of purchaseing an EVO with their rediculous mark up, maybe you can afford it. Check with APTuning, ATP Tuning, and EIP (even though I hate them).

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
15 Posts
i switched to subaru for my wrx and its better than any dub ive ever driven. Don't get me wrong, i still love vw, but the wrx is a totally different kind of car.at least test drive one!

[ December 06, 2003: Message edited by: cookvwphil ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Twin Turbo R32 in the lastest European car.

3.2 24v VR6

11.4 -1/4 mile @ 119mph
3.2 - 0-60mph
60-0 (breaking) 108 ft (STOCK)
Power:
hp-394
tq-401
7100rpm redline

4motion, 6spd

Only internal mods was a headspacer and gasket and race bearings.

Thats ur anwser...Get the r32 (if u can find one) Put 5-10grand into it, and it will compete w/ the "big boys"

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
As far as the R32 goes... they're all pre-sold as far as I know. I've seen one in person... I touched it, I watched it make a pass down the quarter mile (R32 vs Golf Rallye), it's cool... but underpowered for what it is.

24v VR turbo kits are being released here and there... but not for cheap. I would go 1.8t. There's over 400hp potential hiding that motor, which is more than you'd need to scare yourself.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
You could also get a GTI 1.8T and do some mods, and for only a couple grand be running high 13's to low 14's in the 1/4 mile. If you do a VR6T you are talking upwards of $5000 plus install for the turbo kit, plus whatever other mods you will need (exhaust, suspension etc.). I think a stage 3 turbo on a VR will put you around 330HP maybe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A stage 3 VR6 turbo would have more than 320hp. Here are the numbers for an EIP turbo:

stage 1: 330hp
stage 2: 400hp
stage 3: 440hp
stage 4: 475whp (notice numbers are whp now)
stage 5: 500whp

Expensive stuff but it would be so very sweet.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
There's over 400hp potential hiding that motor, which is more than you'd need to scare yourself.[/QB]
Indeed! Kind of makes me wish I had a 1.8t sometimes but then again the VR6 has it's advantages too (if you can afford to mod it that is).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts