VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a MK4 VR6 jetta and depending on who i run against it looks real good (stock honda's) or really bad (the local 240sx club with SR20DET's) ...a turbo would be real nice but short of HPA i cant find one... any ideas ???

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
EIP stage 1-6turbo kits for the 12v vr, they have a bad rep w/ customer service...but have quality products

The 24v is still in its infancy, give it a little time and they will come out...or go custom

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
223 Posts
dont u guys know u need a preformance clutch with LSD to put out all that power. that will cost u another 2500-3000 with labor plus the cost of the turbo.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
dont u guys know u need a preformance clutch with LSD to put out all that power. that will cost u another 2500-3000 with labor plus the cost of the turbo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course we know, but that wasn't the question. We are assuming that ronnicc already is aware of this fact, and will be taking these costs inot consideration.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
223 Posts
I will be uppgrading to stage 3 on my 1.8t some time around april, may so I will be duing the clutch and putting LSD january february, the clutch to run a stage three will be $700-900, LSD $800-1000, and labor for the two will be another $600-900 so thats between $2500-3000 to be on the safe side I'll let u guys know when I put it on.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
Of course we know, but that wasn't the question. We are assuming that ronnicc already is aware of this fact, and will be taking these costs inot consideration.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At what kind of power are drivetrain/clutch upgrades necessary? I would think that at <=250hp that things could be okay. Am I wrong here? Feel free to correct b/c I'm not going on any real knowledge here.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
At what kind of power are drivetrain/clutch upgrades necessary? I would think that at <=250hp that things could be okay. Am I wrong here? Feel free to correct b/c I'm not going on any real knowledge here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

250hp would be fine for awhile but that is just asking for things to go wrong. 250hp on a stock clutch will last 10k mile. You must upgrade to a stage 3 clutch www.esctuning.com. And an LSD is necessary or you will never get the traction that is needed. For 250hp, LSD would be optional, but stupid to not have.

·
Registered
177 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
250hp would be fine for awhile but that is just asking for things to go wrong. 250hp on a stock clutch will last 10k mile. You must upgrade to a stage 3 clutch www.esctuning.com. And an LSD is necessary or you will never get the traction that is needed. For 250hp, LSD would be optional, but stupid to not have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a ACT clutch in my car its like a stage 2 or 1half do u think that would be ok? and how much is an LSD?
Thanx Perry J

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VR6gti:
I have a ACT clutch in my car its like a stage 2 or 1half do u think that would be ok? and how much is an LSD?
Thanx Perry J
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Should last for awhile, once it blows you may wanna upgrade to a 6 or 8puck clutch, but you shouldn't have to much of a problem on a stage 2 clutch. And LSD's are about 800-1000$ but you will love what they do for traction

Edit: 250 hp on a 228mm (VR6 clutch) will be not a problem, will last a good bit. I'm not sure if we are talking about 1.8t or VR6 trannys since there seems to be 2 different directions here. But a stage 2 clutch on a vr6 should be able to hold 300hp with no problem.

[ December 15, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
For 250hp, LSD would be optional, but stupid to not have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly, nothing is more true then that statement. The diff not only adds traction but is a big piece to the puzzle of holding stock trannies together. So many times I hear of guys lossing trannies because of flying rivets from stock diffs. If I were to start over again a diff would be #1 on my list

·
Registered
177 Posts
Originally posted by VR6gti:
[qb]I have a ACT clutch in my car its like a stage 2 or 1half do u think that would be ok? and how much is an LSD?
Thanx Perry J
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Should last for awhile, once it blows you may wanna upgrade to a 6 or 8puck clutch, but you shouldn't have to much of a problem on a stage 2 clutch. And LSD's are about 800-1000$ but you will love what they do for traction

Edit: 250 hp on a 228mm (VR6 clutch) will be not a problem, will last a good bit. I'm not sure if we are talking about 1.8t or VR6 trannys since there seems to be 2 different directions here. But a stage 2 clutch on a vr6 should be able to hold 300hp with no problem.

[ December 15, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ][/QB]
Would i have to get an LSD right away and what would it be like with out the LSD would i not be able to get any traction in 1st gear at all??

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VR6gti:
Would i have to get an LSD right away and what would it be like with out the LSD would i not be able to get any traction in 1st gear at all??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, theres no point in spending the money for someone to tear out ur tranny and install a LSD w/out a new clutch, do it all at once. The car will be easily driveable, but if u wanted to, you prob would spin all first and all second. Also in the rain it might pose a problem. Buy one and an upgraded clutch when funds allow you to do so but its nothing to worry about, i just wouldnt beat on the car as much as you may like to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts