VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iwas just wonderin iknow the vr is powerful and can produce alot of power and torque. but iwas just wonderin a motor that suppose to kick ass and has 2 extra cylinders can produce as much hp as a gs-r. iknow the gs-r torque # arentas high around 128-134 but dose that mean a prelude or type -r is a better motor out the box. deep down idont think so but if i look at it on paper, the figures are kinda close of one another. couldnt vw make that power in four cylinder?

·
Registered
637 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddfras:
iwas just wonderin iknow the vr is powerful and can produce alot of power and torque. but iwas just wonderin a motor that suppose to kick ass and has 2 extra cylinders can produce as much hp as a gs-r. iknow the gs-r torque # arentas high around 128-134 but dose that mean a prelude or type -r is a better motor out the box. deep down idont think so but if i look at it on paper, the figures are kinda close of one another. couldnt vw make that power in four cylinder?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, no offense but you really need to brush up on your writting skill. I have no clue what you are trying say.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i understand what he is getting at here.... while i dont like honda very much at all... i do give the japanese engineers credit for the leaps they make each tear in the fact that a s2000 has a 4 cylinder motor and pushes out around 220 to the wheels. impressive yes but in the real world the torque numbers is where its at and with a honda the real power of their engines doesnt kick in til 4500rpm. (when it goes in to v-tec) the more aggressive cam takes over. but that means your revving the shit out of you engine all the time to keep it around its peak powerband.(52-6500rpm)

·
Registered
153 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddfras:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude shut up and get out of the forums if your gonna talk about nonsense about acuras. and brush up on your grammar too, thanks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tAcOHsVR6:
dude shut up and get out of the forums if your gonna talk about nonsense about acuras. and brush up on your grammar too, thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ouch! sounds like a full blooded honda hater there!!!

we looked at the s2000, 350z, and is300, the s2000 is soooo much fun to drive, and from the inside it growls like a well hung lion, but its way to small, sounds like a constipated hornet from the outside, and is priced to high for an engine bolted to economy plastic, 350 was fast as snot but no fun never got a rush from it, the is300 is what we got, my jetta stomps it to the ground( 4 car lenghts at 100mph), but it rides so good at 100mph, the hid's are incredible, the gps is dead on, the warrenty it great, the front end is freekin sexy, and it looks damn good going slow... anyway.. all of this to say id rather drive 2 dubs any day then spend all that money on a bunch of jap-o crap thats so technologically <whoa sp?> advanced you dont have any fun!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The truth is that most powerful japanese motors are on the edge of explosion. Honda motors are like 11.5:1 compression, dinky little weak rods, way overkill cams... etc. They like to blow up and don't take kindly to over 8 pounds of boost.

VW motors are bulletproof, and can take one hell of a beating for a long time. In stock form they'll take 20psi and aer good for many many miles.

The limiter on the 12v VR6 is the number of valves.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
The truth is that most powerful japanese motors are on the edge of explosion. Honda motors are like 11.5:1 compression, dinky little weak rods, way overkill cams... etc. They like to blow up and don't take kindly to over 8 pounds of boost.

VW motors are bulletproof, and can take one hell of a beating for a long time. In stock form they'll take 20psi and aer good for many many miles.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone wanna donate me 12 more valves? That would be great thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
why vw didnt have the vr6 a 24v motor from the start nobody knows but aaron is completely correct.... the compression on 95% of all higher end jap motors is too high for any real mods. so you would actually have to take two steps backward just to turbo it, if thats the route you would to go. if not there is not much more you could do to the motor as n/a. most aftermarket part for the gsr motor rob power (torque) from the already low number it puts out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what would be needed, and is it possible to drop a mk4 24v vr6 into a mk3?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ithink the vw dubs are better motors. plain and straight. just looking to start a discussion. damn stop hatin.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
ithink the vw dubs are better motors. plain and straight. just looking to start a discussion. damn stop hatin.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Than anyone know what the deal is with all the german cars getting the worst ratings on reliability in the latest consumer reports review? I was kind of shocked - are VWs that unreliable?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
as everyone who drives one knows.... vw and electrical components equils bad news for the first few years they change anything.... but these are only small nickle and dime bugs that plague an all around good engine... thats been vw's downfall for a very long time. but i think most of US are willing to deal with the small problems that bigger pubilcations deem unreliable

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yea, everybody and their grandmas has a honda. If you have a civic with a GSR or H22 swap, sure you might be fast but you're still another Honda driver. If you have an A3 golf with a 1.8T or 24v vr6 you're one out of only 200 or less people in the states with that swap. That makes you original. But then again, every dubber is original.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
every dubber is original.[/QB]
I don't know about that. I rarely see a modded VW up here (myself included). I don't feel original at all.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
I don't know about that. I rarely see a modded VW up here (myself included). I don't feel original at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed. there are way too many jettas and golfs in NH. it's very rarely that you see a "tastefully" modded dub...kinda sad...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2 point slow:
agreed. there are way too many jettas and golfs in NH. it's very rarely that you see a "tastefully" modded dub...kinda sad...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone with some money want to donate to the "make NH's dubs more original" fund? Ryan should have the paypal acct up pretty soon here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
there arent any real modded dubs in North Lauderdale either. well, maybe a couple of 337's and '00 vr6's. but ilike to see tastefully modified mkII.

·
Registered
573 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2 point slow:
agreed. there are way too many jettas and golfs in NH. it's very rarely that you see a "tastefully" modded dub...kinda sad...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, here in DC, we have the exact opposite problem. There are WAY too many Hondas running around the city, and horribly modded ones at that!. Fake whale-tails, meter-tall wings with huge brackets, cut springs, ridiculous fart cans, super high-rev crap. I'm looking to fulfill my desire to whoop all those cars with my beautifully-modded MK2.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts