VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a dealer special right now for the in-trunk 6-cd changer. The dealer wants $350 installed. Is it worth it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
What are you putting it in?I took mine out and I think I lost it now!I hated mine thats why it is gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going in a 2003 Passat Wagon. Someone recommended looking at Crutchfield, I did and that's who I'm going to buy from.

Thanks for the input.

Kevin

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll be driving a NB Convert. as of tomorrow. It doesn't come with the CD player and I was looking into getting an aftermarket changer. Can anyone reccomend one? I really don't want the one that VW is offering.

·
Registered
273 Posts
just to offer what i have done: since it costs so much just to have 6 cds, i got an mp3 player instead for $150. right now i just have a cassette adapter with a wire spliced back together after my sisters cat chewed through it (so you know how cheap i really am about this whole thing!), and it actually works pretty well. i keep it in the slot where the cd controls would be, and i hope to figure out how to wire it in w/out the cassette soon.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The problem with the other changers is that VW uses a special protocal with their stereo systems so that it is much much harder to install an aftermarket changer into the stock system without ripping out the whole system and putting all aftermarket in. There is a guy that sells VW OEM Panasonic changers on Ebay for real cheap. If you have the Monsoon system, I would recommend this guy on ebay, IIRC he sold me mine for something like $250. Install is a breeze too, as it consists of removing one screw and snapping in a plug that is already wired in the car. This is how it works for the monsoon systems anyhow. The sound quality on mine is not too bad either, it definately blows away 99% of the other stock systems I have heard, and this is coming from someone that used to have upwards of $3,000 in stereo equipment in my last vehicle.

[ May 06, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i like mine. no problems with it and i have variety. mp3s are nice and so are indash but i have a 6 disk and i really like it.
my .02
rich

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I like my 6 disk changer (stock). Im not extremely picky when it comes to sound. I wish I would have an mp3 player. but like on my computer, I get tired of the same old songs over and over again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I hate mine... I have the stock "in-trunk" 6 disk cd changer. I always get errors due to the thing not being able to read cd-r's. I have to trick it if i want to hear those cd's. I play a normal cd first, then about half way through the first song, i switch back to the cd-r and it finally works. I'd love to put one of those "in-dash" 6 disk cd players in but i was informed at my local vw shop that it won't fit. vw changed the design of the dash somewhere in between '01 and '02!

so what i'm doing now is getting the ugly 1 disk "in-dash" cd player so i don't have to get out of my car everytime i want to switch a cd!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which models of Panasonic CD-changers work? I've been thinking of putting one in myself (the dealer thing is just too expensive for my blood). I own a 1999 Passat 1.8T GLS.

Like 2K1Wolfsburg, I also have an mp3 player connected through my cassette deck. Lucky for me, the mp3 player was a gift, so it didn't cost me anything. Even the cassette adapter was scavenged from my previous car, lol!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Monsoon system without the CD installed.
The salesman told me NOT to get the changer from VW(imagine that. He told me to try Curcuit City. From what I'm hearing this may be the way to go.

Fred

1 - 11 of 11 Posts