VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.

I have a 1996 Volkwagen Jetta GLS that I'm having a problem with. I'm getting a lot of steering wheel and shifter lever vibration when I accelerate rapidly. I can feel the vibration in all gears, but more so around 2500-3000 rpms. At first, I thought it was due to an unbalanced tire, so I had all my tires re-balanced and rotated, but it didn't solve the problem. I took it to a VW auto mechanic and he checked several things (engine mounts, shocks, etc...)but he didn't find the problem, yet he agreed that he noticed the vibration (needless to say, he wasn't a lot of help). So, I'm back to square-one, and I wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem, or any ideas what the problem may be.

Also, if anyone lives around the Bay Area (san jose, CA), can anyone recommend a reputable auto mechanic??

thanks,

Jorge monteon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey Mark,

thanks for the fast reply. Oh, and my car IS manual transmission. The strange thing is that I barely started to notice the vibration in both the shifter lever and steering wheel just recently, and I think it's getting worse. But, as you said, there may be a problem with the transmission, or something. Do you have any suggestions?? Should I contact a VW dealer, or try elsewhere with some other mechanic?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Try another mechanic or vw dealership.Also ask them for any possable internal damage to the trans.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Is the car a 5 speed or a automatic ?There is a known problem with the trans in the manual cars.Sometimes they have weird noises or vibrations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts