VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i had to disconnected the battery in 2002 VW Beetle and now that I have connected it again my radio won't work. It is a genuine VW radio and have read in service manual it should have the word "safe" in the radio display but mine has "code 1" can anyone please let me know what I have to do to get it to work again as I am suppose to have the word "safe" displayed to be able to enter code not "code 1"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Uh oh, it sounds like your radio thinks there's been an attempt to enter the wrong radio code into the radio; the next attempt to enter an incorrect radio code will result in a display of "code 2", indicating a second failed attempt.

You must have the security anti-theft code for your Volkswagen radio from the car manufacturer, or from a Volkswagen dealer!

The sequence of programming for a VW New Beetle radio is:
1. Push simultaneous "SCAN" and "RDS" keys until on the screen will appear "1000" displayed.
2. Release keys. No more push on "SCAN" and "RDS" keys because otherwise number "1000" will be considered as first safe code attempt.
For example: we have the security code "5079". Then:
3. By the no.# 1 key you will set up the first safe code digit. Push 5 times on the no.# 1 button. The "5" number will be set.
4. By the no.# 2 key you will set up the second safe code digit. Push 10 times on the no.# 2 button. The "0" number will be set.
5. By the no.# 3 key you will set up the third safe code digit. Push 7 times on the no.# 3 button. The "7" number will be set.
6. By the no.# 4 key you will set up the four-th safe code digit. Push 9 times on the no.# 4 button. The "9" number will be set.
7. Then push again simultaneous "SCAN" and "RDS" keys to confirm this safe code entry.

On the screen will be displayed "SAFE" notice. Release keys! For a few seconds a radio frequency will be displayed. The radio is now ready for use!

Wow! Could this procedure be any more obtuse! :D

Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need to enter code but don't have "RDS" button

Thanks, mullardel34, for your detailed answer to the previous poster. I was very excited when I read it, but alas I cannot follow your directions because my radio does not have an "RDS" button.

OK here's my story: I left the lights on and completely drained the battery on my 2000 New Beetle. I used a battery charger to charge the battery and of course, now my radio won't work.
(no I didn't disconnect anything before charging. mistake??)

I have the code. I have the booklet with directions.

My booklet says:
Turn on the radio. "SAFE" will appear in the display.
After 3 seconds, the number 1000 will appear in the display.

But when I turn on my radio the display says
"FM 1 88.3 MHZ man"

Nothing I have tried has changed that.

I have a basic radio / cassette tape player with the optional cd player in the trunk.

All the buttons on the radio are as follows:

Left hand dial: volume (center, not labelled) surrounded by BAL, TREB, FAD, BASS.
Right hand dial: SCAN, FM, TAPE, AM, CD.
SEEK (rocker switch), DN/UP (rocker switch), 1,2,3,4,5,6 preset buttons.

Cassette controls REW, FF, PROG, dolby, MIX, STOP/EJECT.

That's it. If anyone knows how I can get it to the "1000" display so I can try to put in the code, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Sarah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Uh oh, it sounds like your radio thinks there's been an attempt to enter the wrong radio code into the radio; the next attempt to enter an incorrect radio code will result in a display of "code 2", indicating a second failed attempt.

You must have the security anti-theft code for your Volkswagen radio from the car manufacturer, or from a Volkswagen dealer!

The sequence of programming for a VW New Beetle radio is:
1. Push simultaneous "SCAN" and "RDS" keys until on the screen will appear "1000" displayed.
2. Release keys. No more push on "SCAN" and "RDS" keys because otherwise number "1000" will be considered as first safe code attempt.
For example: we have the security code "5079". Then:
3. By the no.# 1 key you will set up the first safe code digit. Push 5 times on the no.# 1 button. The "5" number will be set.
4. By the no.# 2 key you will set up the second safe code digit. Push 10 times on the no.# 2 button. The "0" number will be set.
5. By the no.# 3 key you will set up the third safe code digit. Push 7 times on the no.# 3 button. The "7" number will be set.
6. By the no.# 4 key you will set up the four-th safe code digit. Push 9 times on the no.# 4 button. The "9" number will be set.
7. Then push again simultaneous "SCAN" and "RDS" keys to confirm this safe code entry.

On the screen will be displayed "SAFE" notice. Release keys! For a few seconds a radio frequency will be displayed. The radio is now ready for use!

Wow! Could this procedure be any more obtuse! :D

Good luck! :cool:
did you fix problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts