VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need to change the front brake disks of my 2005 VW Bora 1.6( automatic transmition). What do you suggest for them?
I'm thinking to buy one of them;
1-Zimmerman sport brake disks

2-Brembo Max

actually, I will use this brake disks for dailly drive. But of course, breaking power is important for me since Iam living in a very crowded city which has a very crowded traffic.
On the other hand, I can the original disk of this two brands. I am not sure, I really need to buy sports one.

Zimmermann:

Brembo:

·
4,054 Posts
Stock or any other cheap rotors. No need for drilled or slotted.

This. If you're not sure if you have to buy sport brakes or not then you probably don't have to. Stock rotors will work fine.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
The Zimmerman solid rotors are zinc plated and help reduce rusting of the hub section. I use them in the fronts. I have drilled and slotted rears (due to the package to upsize the rears only came that way), but salt and cold can cause them to crack i have read and plan to replace with zimmerman solids of equal size when they need replacing.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
You want a pad change. Rotor doesn't change braking force, bigger rotor is more rotating mass and will stop you slower. Holes just make them cool and wear faster with an inherent affinity to warping. These cars can pull abs all day with just a pad change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My main reason of changing my brake disks is that disks are (most likely) warped. I don't know the reason, it happened in the returning way of my travel to a city, 1000km away. While driving with a speed higher than 110km/h , when I jam on the brakes, the steering wheel is vibrating. that's the why I need to change my brake disks/rotors.

I understand here that I don't really need to use drilled or sport disks, don't I?
and your suggestion is to buy original Zimmermann disks (Stock Rotors), isn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
If you're in USA napa brand rotors are top stuff too.

A solid piece of metal is stronger than one with holes, lasts longer much, much less prone to warpage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Last year I put Bendix Global rotors on along with some Bendix semi-metallic pads from autopartswarehouse.com. Good price just make sure fitments correct cause they sent me the wrong pads first. Drastic improvement over whatever was previously on my jetta though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts