VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since not many VWs came here in the states with a carb we'd be shooting in the dark trying to help. The best I can think of for a high idle would be a vacuum leak.

As far as swapping the carb, people over here usually just swap on a weber with an adaptor... so long as it will pass inspection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Afternoon,

My apologies if this is a dumb question!

My 1.8, 1991 VW Golf Driver mostly idles at about 3000 rpm and I'm fed up with it. I have had the waxstat replaced, which didn’t help and I can't find anything obviously wrong - I'm assuming that there is a more fundamental issue causing the problem; perhaps a internal carb issue, or a failure with one of the peripheral parts of the carburettor. For this reason I want to take off the carburettor (Pierburg ?), hit it with a hammer and throw it away.

So to my question, I have been told that the overly complex Pierburg has all manner of complexities bolted on to it, cold weather sensors etc. (regardless as to whether this is correct or not), can I just go out and buy a replacement carburettor and bolt it on?

I guess what I’m asking is, will I be able to replace the carburettor directly and scrap all of these additional sensors etc. or will they have to be fixed back on to the new carburettor. I'm possibly thinking about going and getting a manual choke Webber carburettor so as to never have to worry about over revving again - bliss...

Any opinions in the above, suggestions as to the modal to buy, where I should buy it from (www.gsfcarparts.com?) are most welcome!!!!

Thanks in advance

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts