VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make this as short but as detailed as I can. If this is the wrong catergory, please let me know. :)

I have a 2006 VW Golf, 4dr, hatchback. Shortly after I got it used the lights over the A/C area went out. Sometimes they would flicker back on but they mostly stayed off. That was about 3 years ago when I got the car. I don't know if this is related but thought it was worth mentioning. The other morning I was driving my daughter to school and all of a sudden all of the lights on the dashboard go out (except the turn signals and "warning" lights like gas, washer fluid) and smoke pours through the vents briefly.

I took it to a mechanic and he did everything else I already needed like air filter, brakes, etc and am already $700 in the hole and he didn't even touch the lights. (he quoted me $500 for everything) He says it would be a whole day or twos work of ripping out the dash, finding parts, etc. Needless to say I need my car and can't afford the fix from the sounds of it anyway.

I don't even know if he checked it out, I doubt it. My husband says all of the fuses look fine but I read on some websites there is a "hidden" fuse box under the steering wheel. Not sure if that pertains to my model or not.

Anyone have any ideas on this? It's hard to try around without dash lights :-\ I know that I can't take the whole dashboard out and apart. I am hoping maybe there is a more manageable fix I may have missed.

Thanks!
Jen

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Its possible your car is an Mk4 also (as they were produced til 2006) but this problem probably doesnt matter which car it is.

Are you sure it was smoke and not steam? Do you know what antifreeze smells like?

To me, it sounds like your heater core blew up and shorted some electrical stuff.

Does your heat currently work?

Does your AC work? DO you have a wet spot on the floor on your passenger side?

These will help diagnose what has happened.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts