VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice sleeper cars.....Didn't realize it had itself a little turbo under there.....kudos. No over tbadging. Definitely took me by surprise. I'm too lazy to look into it myself, but does VW offer and AWD system? Because it seemed to handle prettty damn well too. New found respect for the little kraut car company.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well now folks, let's not get crazy here.....I will say that he didn't pass me until I slowed to let him (my wife was not happy with me). But, I couldn't catch him after that. But it did surprise me that he was able to keep on me pretty well. Once again, in my defense, I was staying in my lane through the twisties while he was all over both lanes looking for the best line. Respect nonetheless...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I have some respect for the WRX. Before i was chipped i race one and he was just barley ahead of me. It was more after first we were even. (Damn AWD
) But after going to the dealer after and oil change, the service guy brought me back there and showed me the tranny out of a WRX and the whole second gear was gone. He said it's not rare for that to happen. He also was telling me that you can barly increase the boost unless you replace the internals. Not sure how true that part is.
jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I have to concur with your take on things. It was pretty even all the way through. As far as the WRX tranny, that is the weak point of the vehicle. 2nd gear is especially weak. Yet, about the boost, Ithink he was talking out of his arse. Vishnu.com and other companies regularly up the boost with their performance kits and with very good hp and torque gains. It's the same with any car...you want to go to 20 psi, you might want to upgrade the internals. WHat're the weak points on the VW? (So I can exploit it next time.) ANd don't tell me there aren't any......

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Lets see... On the 1.8t there is the Coilpack 1, 2, 3, and 4. An oversensitive computer, tiny turbo, fwd, heavy as hell.
With just the chip you go from 7psi to about 13-18 depending on what company you go with. On average they all claim about 200hp and 240tq. Some of the more serious tunners go to about 300hp before they start changing out the stock internals.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
2 of my friends have the WRX and I like them. However I am not to big of a fan of the styling of the car. Other then that it is nice. One is blue the other is silver.

Another buddy of mine who (own a Ducatti... I know f#%%#%g pr353ck... hehehe) he has the WRC (I think?..it id a 2 door burgundy with gold wheels) and I don't like his look at all. And I smoke him anyday and any night. I never raced the other WRX's but I do realise they offer more Ponnies.

As per VW 4WD it is called 4Motion and it is available in North America as well. Namely on the Passat and the Jetta Wagon.

And let's not forget the R32.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
hell yeah, id take kraut over rice anyday. im obsessed with it. wont buy anything else. ask k2jetta98. hell tell ya. all i do is talk about dubs and other euro cars. so do i know all you other dub owners do.
still, i have respect for the wrx and other japanese cars. just wouldent be my choice.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hell yeah thats all that rich talks about but i can't complain, me and him are trying to get our friend to go euro over rice, he is looking at an s4 or a 350z, and all we tell him is to get the audi, they are sooo hot. but then he talks to kids that like rice and they tell him to get the 350z, i mean don't get me wrong the 350z is sweet but come on the s4 is amazing

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
agreed. euro is so smooth. I really dont have anyone to talk cars and vws with other than my g/f. but I do all the talking and she listens. yes I also respect wrx-very sweet machine. I was going to get a legacy gt (not the new body style), but I opted for the vr6!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yea, if I could have got the WRX in the old bodystyle, I wouldn't be a dubber today. The 2.5RS was too fragile after boring it out to sustain any boost, so that may be what the tech was referring to. The WRX is a nice car, but I'd still take the skyline over it anyday. Thats about all the love I have for Japanese cars anymore. I will continue to be a nissan fan based on my old 240, but I think from here on out Im a Euro man.

As for weaknesses to exploit, if they forget to turn the traction control off, they lose the turbo when the wheels slip, and you always run the chance that there window will drop and they will have to slow down because of the wind noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts