VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I'm new here

I'm living in The Netherlands and driving this 1996 passat

I would like to have an extra key made. But I do NOT have the key lable with the order code on it anymore So I went to my local VW dealer and they started some bullshit story that my key has some kind of 'code' in it and they would give me a new key wich I would have to made on size/shape by a normal keymaker (sorry for my poor english :p) And THEN the VW dealer would request a code at VW, this would take a few hours and they would need both my car and my keys in the meantime. This all would cost 45-50 euro / dollar

The reason I think this is bullshit is because the model I'm driving was in production from 1993 - mid 1996, afther that the new passat came out and THIS model has a way bigger key WITH transponder. I also have opened my current key up and can only see the battery / light in it, nothing more

So my question is : Do I have to order my key by the VW dealer or can I go to a local keymaker and get an unofficial key/copy myself for about 5 euro/dollar ?
Or DOES my key work with some kind of code / transponder so this isnt possible

Picture of my current key :

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
you should be able to get a copy made. but anyways i met this guy at the h2o show that was making custom keys for ur dub, he'd get a copy of your key and form it into the new flip out key of the newer dubs.. sorta interesting i wish i woulda got the guys name.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts