VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning my car was broken into by having the driver’s door lock punched. The thieves left all the windows down and the tailgate open. The police (and auto-body repair guy) told me that they have seen alot of VW break-ins the past while. Thieves have found a way to bypass the alarm/shut it off quickly. When I bought my car, I was told it has a good alarm system. It doesn't have the shock sensor but it does make an audible alarm when a door is opened and the alarm is set. It also has the coded key for the ignition so they can’t hotwire it.

After some reading online, I’m not surprised they were able to shut my alarm up. I am curious as to how they got my windows down? I mean, I can’t get them to move after I have activated the alarm unless I unlock my ignition. My ignition isn’t supposed to unlock without the coded key. They did no visible damage to my ignition. I am just wondering if this rash of VW break-ins is happening elsewhere and if anyone knows how to avoid being a target again. I didn’t lose much because I don’t keep much in my car. In fact I’m more annoyed that they took my ¾-full bag of mints than my sleeve of burned CDs. But that’s $300 to replace the lock that I can’t afford to pay again.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts