VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody on here know what colleges in or close to pa have "Automotive technology - volkswagen"
Thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
hmmmm that really makes me think... whats the pay for one of those techs?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I understand there is an vw technician school in baltimore, MD. If I were to do it all over again, I would def be a vw tech.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
i was talking to him a month or two ago and he said (like to exaggerate a bit
) that he'll be getting almost a 60% raise in pay from his current tech job.

not sure how true it is tho...

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
my girlfriend's older brother is gonna be going to vw tech school this summer. I think it is in gaithersburg, MD. ill have to talk to her about it and ill get back to ya...

·
Registered
203 Posts
if you want to be a vw tech i say go for it there is a school in Blairsville pa called wyotech they are a tech school and you can train to become a vw tech there i am pretty sure that becoming a vw tech has a guarnteed salary of $15.00 dollars an hour they also give you $7000 dollar tuition reimbursment and a $1500 tool credit. sounds like you picked the right kind of job. You can find more info on the wyotech school at http://www.wyotech.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
I give you much credit for wanting to work on VeeDubs. My boy worked for a VW dealer for about a year and he said it is tremendously stressful. I understand VW is one of the least reliable vehicles manufactured today but that dont stop me from drivin one. I just dont like fixin the damn thing.......good luck with that, guy...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GriefOneNYC:
I give you much credit for wanting to work on VeeDubs. My boy worked for a VW dealer for about a year and he said it is tremendously stressful. I understand VW is one of the least reliable vehicles manufactured today but that dont stop me from drivin one. I just dont like fixin the damn thing.......good luck with that, guy...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

vw = least reliable???

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DropTopVeeDub...:
if you want to be a vw tech i say go for it there is a school in Blairsville pa called wyotech they are a tech school and you can train to become a vw tech there i am pretty sure that becoming a vw tech has a guarnteed salary of $15.00 dollars an hour they also give you $7000 dollar tuition reimbursment and a $1500 tool credit. sounds like you picked the right kind of job. You can find more info on the wyotech school at http://www.wyotech.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know what most mechanics make but in the scheme of things 15 dollars an hour isn't that much money - but maybe the benefits are really good....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey guys i'm currently at Penn College in Williamsport and sadly there's no vw program here but an excellent general automotive program. My Engine performance instructor told me that he has a friend in Connecticut that owns a dealership and he said that he can't find anyone to clean the floors up there for $25 an hour. And he was dead serious. Looks like after I'm done here i'll be on my way to New England. Just thought i'd post.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Let me clear a few things here.

I am currently a VW Certified Technician. I got to this point this way:

I was in my Freshman Year at Rutgers University. Didn't like college, so I quit after the first year and enrolled at Lincoln Tech. Biggest waste of money ever. But, because I saw it through and graduated, I was admitted to Universal Technical Institute's Graduate School Program, which is the factory supported Technician Recruitment program for VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Volvo, to name a few. Anyway, I signed up for the VW Graduate school, and they have multiple locations in the country. I opted to go to the one closest to my home, so that I could go home on weekends without too much hassle. The nearest school is in Allentown, PA. Their building there houses VW, Audi, and Mercedes. They start VW and Audi classes at the same time. The guaranteed salary through the school is $15 an hour, which is very good for a technician just starting out. I have seen techs working for $8.50 an hour...you also get $1500 worth of Snap-On tools, free from VW, as well as the opportunity to buy $6500 worth of tools at 55% off. The school has all the latest VW models available to work on.

In fact, a few months ago, I was at VW's technican school (for existing VW dealer techs) for Touareg certification, and one of my head instructor from the VW TRP academy was there taking the class with me. It was nice to see him again, and we caught up on things.

The Graduate school made it all worth while, and if you want to be a Technician, I would strongly advise going to this school. If you go to Allentown for VW, tell Mr. Groff or Mr. Garity that I sent ya.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you work on cars as a profession than beware of losing your passion to work on cars as a hobby. I went to PCT for Auto Tech for a year and got burnt out working on everybody else's car but mine. The deadlines and problems that can't be walked away from on other peoples car's sucks. If you enjoy working on cars to unwind after a hard days work than being a tech is not for you.

Ben, just to let you know, Leavitt enjoys telling stories, and they should be shelved in the non-fictional section of the library.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts