VW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the in car router for VW from Autonetmobile.com ... but I'm not really sure...
Best I can tell... the main difference between it and other devices like it, is that it supposedly features some sort of special technology built specifically for your car.... or for use while the car is moving.

Has anyone out there actually tried this thing out? A friend of mine has the Mifi product from Sprint and it definitely does not work seemlesly while the car is moving.

Is it worth the $199 ?

Any advice would be great!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah ... they actually are selling for $199 right now. .. that's what has got me thinking about it .... Amazon has it for like $389 and there is a $200 cash rebate...
Still I would like to talk to someone that has personally tried it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
getting my Router installed!

I plunked down the $199 for this gadget... I'm getting it installed today .... I'll post up my review once I get it all dialed in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so ... I got my router installed and working! Here is my review with the experience so far.

Delivery- Came fast and easy.. I ordered from Amazon.com and the cost after rebate was a little over $200.00 ! $386.94 plus tax with a $200 rebate!

Installation- I had my local stereo store install it under my seat for $50! They told me it took about 30 min!

Performance- First off.. one thing I learned that the Autonet router does that I didn't know it could do is the system actually manages the data for you.
Lets say you are moving down the highway ...uploading a document and you lose connection to the tower...... Autonet will put the upload on pause.. and resume once you re-establish connection. This means you won't lose the data you are transmitting or send half of a document .. possibly corrupting a database. Amazing!

I would say Autonet is pretty spot on with what they claim. It seems to work seemlessly while in motion.... MUCH better than my cell card did. I am able to stream pandora without choppyness or lag ... I will say that every now and then you may get a second of hiccup but it's not enough to annoy you.... like once every 30 minutes.
Video streaming also works pretty good... granted it's still a 3g connection so the loading can be a little combersome but once it's starts streaming I have noticed very little hiccuping. It's for sure better than a cell card.

Range-Autonetmobile claims you can use it up to 150 ft from the vehicle and I would say this is accurate. I didn't bust out a tape measure but I was about 120-140 ft away with no problems.

All in all I would say I feel really good about the price and the performance... in the long run it will save me money for sure ... my cell card was costing me about $80 per month on average and Autonet is $29 FLAT rate. No taxes, no overages, no roaming.

I am definitely excited to road trip it up now!!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks for the review cartastic, I've been looking at installing this in my work truck for a little bit now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts