VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading on vwturbo.com that there is a kit that produces 300hp. that was great for me cause thats what im looking for. i asked them what i needed to do as far as ecu mods. they told me that i can either go with their rechipped version (IF available) or i should go with a stand alone. i have used search engines and i cannot find any helpful info on who makes a good stand alone set up. does anyone out there have any recommendations? i appreciate the looking out. thanx

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
How much are you looking to spend. A good stand alone will cost AT LEAST $1500 without tuning. A lot more for great control and tuning.

If you are looking for around 300hp and want a bolt on kit, scoop up and APR Stage 3 before they get replaced with the Stage 3+. You should see aroun 290hp with the Stage 3.

ATP makes decent rpoducts but they don't really make any bolt-on kits for daily drivers (without proper tuning). It really depends on what route you want to go and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have come to grips with the fact that VW parts are more expensive then honda parts. so goes life though. simply put i want a daily driver 300 horses. anything after that is kudos. anyways, who makes these stand alones? i have always been one to go a different route so when the time come ill get a garret gt28rs, FMIC, stand alone fuel management, NEW clutch and light flywheel. im in the military, i can afford it. dont got nothing else to pay for. i dont want to cut corners.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
i have always been one to go a different route so when the time come ill get a garret gt28rs, FMIC, stand alone fuel management, NEW clutch and light flywheel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should wait for APR's Stage 3+ kit. It uses a GT28RS and will be completely bolt on with their new fuel injection system. The injectors are able to vary their load i believe to give a stock-like idle, unlike most other fueling systems for this type of hp. It is supposed to be very close in price to their stage 3.

There are plenty of companies out there who make stand-alone managment. You should be able to find some through google or a serch on the vortex. Not many companies make a "vw" stand-alone system but, if it has control for all the right sensors, is this really a problem?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've read a bit about some people doing engine swaps with upgraded 1.8t's into A2's and the one 1.8t modified into a 16v turbo they used TEC III engine management.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey 98a4, what is the exact web address for APR if you dont mind me asking. all those horses definately does sound sweet, so i wanna read up on their products. thanx a bunch dude.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for the amount of cash it will cost for the 3+ kit, i can wait. i have to save anyway. have they released any info as to when they mite be releasing it?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
for the amount of cash it will cost for the 3+ kit, i can wait. i have to save anyway. have they released any info as to when they mite be releasing it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Their bbq this year is on March 27th. I can pretty much guarantee it will be released then or a release date will be set then.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was just on APR website is it just me or wasn't the price for the stage III 3995 a little while ago. I think it just jump up 500 bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts