VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this a common problem, but I am having trouble with my headlights shutting off and all other electrical elements in my 97 golf. I have traced the problem to the ignition and can keep everything running if I keep pressure on the key. I was wondering if anyone has found a good solution to this besides just replacing the ignition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ME TOO!!

My 98 Cabrio runs great, but no headlights, A/C, or wipers unless pressure applied to the key. If I could find some info on changing it out I'd be glad to, but I cant even find the part online, and I have a phobia of dealership prices.(I HAVE found the ignition switch, but not the lock cylinder, and I'm ASSUMING thats what I need.)
So, can anyone point me in the right direction? And also, I've only glanced at it, but the method of removal did not immediatly present itself.

THANKS!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Re: ME TOO!!

heatray said:
My 98 Cabrio runs great, but no headlights, A/C, or wipers unless pressure applied to the key. If I could find some info on changing it out I'd be glad to, but I cant even find the part online, and I have a phobia of dealership prices.(I HAVE found the ignition switch, but not the lock cylinder, and I'm ASSUMING thats what I need.)
So, can anyone point me in the right direction? And also, I've only glanced at it, but the method of removal did not immediatly present itself.

THANKS!
You probably need the ignition switch electrical portion...most likely your S-contact inside has failed.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
had this problem with my 95 golf...... doesn't it just suck when your listening to a good song and it just cuts out! not the best but a quick fix is to tap the outer ring around the keyhole so its seated tight again.( assuming your key has quite a bit of play in it like mine does) careful not to knock it in too far as your radio and other electric extras will then constantly drain power if not turned off. please keep in mind this is a quick fix and not meant to be perminent..... i suggest getting the part or parts replaced asap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this and other electrical problems with my 96 Golf and dumped a little more than $1,000 into various electrical system components before it was finally traced to the ignition!

I've since discovered a lot of MK3 owners who have had to replace their ignitions. I'm starting to suspect that the MK3's got [email protected] ignitions at the factory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts