VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i think i might've found a huge problem with my gti. Apparently the future owner never had the car in for service, but there are records in the car of him doing all oil, coolant, and other services himself. Just how void is my waranty? Do any of you think the dealership is going to put up a fight? Just to let you know, i'm hoping in the back of my mind that the waranty is toast so i can mod the hell out of the car without worrying about it. Thanks for any info on it.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockguy87:
Hey, i think i might've found a huge problem with my gti. Apparently the future owner never had the car in for service, but there are records in the car of him doing all oil, coolant, and other services himself. Just how void is my waranty? Do any of you think the dealership is going to put up a fight? Just to let you know, i'm hoping in the back of my mind that the waranty is toast so i can mod the hell out of the car without worrying about it. Thanks for any info on it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kinda miles does it have?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CARJUNKY1992:
Sry about posting on another sn, but i'm at my bro's computer. The car's got almost 16k miles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With 16k you are fine, I thought the first serivce was 20k?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I wrote this in a post awhile back about dealers and fears of warranties being voided (mostly geared towards aftermarket tuning). Checkout the links and they will solve all your questions and definately fears about warranty issues. Here it is:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Make sure you are going to a Mod friendly dealer...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To everyone:

Do not be scared of dealerships "voiding" your warranty because you have a chip.... it violates Federal Law, in particular the Magnuson and Moss Act. Just because you have a chip in NO WAY constitutes a warranty being voided in any way, shape or form. It is like the dealer saying for example "well you have a bad strut bearing, but since you installed a aftermarket chip in your car we can not cover the work", this would be a time when you would call bullshit (excuse my French
). In no way did you alter the strut bearings longevity, replace it or even mess with it so therefore it is there problem. They have no way in proving that the chip caused (or is even related to the strut bearing) the problem. So what I am saying is the dealership can not just up and void a warranty because you altered the car. The only way a warranty can be voided is if the aftermarket part was the direct cause of the problem at hand. Tuning a car (especially a turbo car) comes with responsibilities, being that if you increase hp, suspension geometry, combustion enviroment, whatever....you must be man enough to stand behind the parts you added. You added them, no one else made that decision. But if a dealer trys to pull warranty voiding without probable cause then you have to know when to shut them up. The best way to do that is with this link.....
Warranty Violation. The best way to protect yourself is with knowledge and this will help you out (along with other links on the site). When I first got my 2000 GTi VR6 the dealer tried the "well the suspension is changed so you are through with your warranty" bull. Once I discussed with them my rights the story then changed. To that I would like to give a big shout out to J. Bertolet Volkswagen Service Department for trying to screw me every chance they got

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I never said that they could void your entire warranty because of a chip. I did say, however, that they can void the warranty on parts directly related to the chip. If you have a cold air intake, they most likely can't mess with you. Same for a bolt-on cat back exhaust. But if you chip and something engine related goes wrong (ECU goes bad, idle quality sucks, etc) they can refuse to service it under warranty. You really can't expect a dealer to fix a problem under warranty that an aftermarket modification is the cause of. It just doesn't work like that.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty act states that a manufacturer cannot void your warranty for using aftermarket replacement parts, unless the manufacturer provides the parts for free. In other words...if an cold air intake is considered a stock replacement part (and most of the name brand ones are, they have CARB EO#s) then they cannot void your warranty because of one. As long as it has approval as a stock replacement part, they can't void your warranty.

And correct me if I am wrong, but the last time I checked, Chips aren't considered stock replacement, as a stock replacement would be a stock ECU, not just the chip inside. Granted, as an enthusiast, I believe VW should be offering factory supported (and warranty backed) software upgrades like other new car manufacturers, but VW doesn't want to wake up and smell the coffee on that issue. But as of now, if you chip...be prepared to deal with some driveability issues on your own. Botched chip installs really suck, I'll tell you that much.

As for your warranty question...as long as you can provide all the reciepts that the previous owner did all the maintenance work and purchased the parts to perform the said work, its all good.

[ December 23, 2003: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

·
Registered
830 Posts
You are missing my the point here. The Magnuson and Moss Act are there to protect the buyer from fraudlent warranty issues. Nowhere did I ever state that the dealer should honor a warranty for a problem that was caused by a aftermarket product. Actually, I stated the exact opposite if re-read my post. The point is dealers are setup to be money making machines. Dealers do to take advantage of uninformed customers and charge outrageous prices. They also take advantage of the customer that tunes their car by trying to push unrelated issues off on the parts that they installed. Just like in my post I gave my personal example. No matter what the circumstances are in a persons particular case, it is imparitive that the consumer be armed with this information in case they do get there car serviced at one of these types of dealerships.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts