VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't think it would be water if it happens everytime the gas is low. Maybe your guage is off and you are actually running out of fuel!?!?! I dunno. You can try putting gas line de-icer in your tank when you fill up, this will evaporate any water, or use an ethanol fuel, UPI stations use this.

·
Registered
414 Posts
it sounds like a problem getting fuel out of the tank, check the pick-up line as mentioned above.
Just a note, when it is cold outside, as in freezing temps, moisture can accumulate in your gas tank. Liquids hold heat longer than solids so you should try to keep your tank full in the winter. (it dosen't sound like this is your problem though)
another note, when you are running on a near empty gas tank your fuel pump works harder to supply gas and it can go out sooner than if you don't go below a 1/4 tank of gas.

[ March 10, 2004: Message edited by: 87cabriolet ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
it does more so around corners. but the other day i was going up a slight hill and it sputted for 30 seconds or so. i had the pedal tho the floor and was trying to feather it. nothing worked, then all the sudden it gets this huge burst of power and is fine. how do i find out if the pick up lines are fine. do i have to take the tank out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have this problem. when there is about 1/4 to an 1/8 of gas left in the tank, my car sputters out of control and loses all power. it feels like only 2 or 3 cyclinders are firing. it's not the ignition system i've check that all ready. my question is HOW DO YOU CHECK FOR WATER IN THE GAS TANK. in water lighter than gas? Please HELP. this is very frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes i have the same problem 2, but mine does it all the time, it would be running fine for day and then just happen, i would put my foot to the floor and nothing would happen either, then a burst

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Sounds like the in tank pump... or the strainer mounted onto the intank pump. There really isn't much else in there to go wrong.

·
Registered
364 Posts
yeah its definetly the pick up inside the tank, you might have the get that pump from a dealer, if you have a bently manual it should explain everything in there, my rabbit, the baffle for the pickup line broke and started dogging out bad especially around 1/4 tank around right turn, that thing use to buck really violent around right turns

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i would deffinetly check the transfer pump. It most liky wouldn't be water or it would do it all the time not just around corners nd up hills. check the pumps then go from there. good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts