VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been raining here since last night and I went to get in my car this morning and found a little water in the mat. The past couple days also I have been smelling something musty. And Now that I found out that I have a water leak somewhere. I checked the door seal, thats ok. Pulled the door panel off and and found that the speaker seal and the seal around the inner panel(holds the window reg. on the door)is ok. I checked the sunroof drains, OK. I checked the cowl drain OK. I even went as far as I took the hose and sprayed the whole Pass side door area, and nothing..

Any info would be good. I hate water leaks and the musty smell.


Oh ya, I forgot to tell you that when I took the door panel off and looked close at the speaker, NONE of the screws were in the hole. The speaker was just held in by double sided tape. So Now I have to go to the dealer and get the nutsert or what ever they use to hold them in. Would that not being tight maybe cause a leak, But why didn't it do it sooner???

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: AlwaysVeeDubbin ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
yeah i heard of that happening to a couple people. sucks man. hopefully it will be alright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
ok ready heres what u do this same thing happened to me twice first it was my sunroof drains then it was my ac drain the drain is stuck with some thing the way u can check it is turn ur ac on full and if no water leaks out the bottom of the car u know what its is then just bring it some where with a list a blow it out with an air hose problem fixed thank me later peace....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GtiVr601:
ok ready heres what u do this same thing happened to me twice first it was my sunroof drains then it was my ac drain the drain is stuck with some thing the way u can check it is turn ur ac on full and if no water leaks out the bottom of the car u know what its is then just bring it some where with a list a blow it out with an air hose problem fixed thank me later peace....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


or you can just put your car in the garage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:

or you can just put your car in the garage
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish. My landlords wife takes the garage, which sucks because Im the one paying rent.
.

She only has a Subaru too.
I will have to talk to my boss but I think that he is giving me his old junk "Honda" for the winter. I know what your thinking Honda?? Hell I would rather drive that in the winter then the VW.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I will be making a Appt. at the dealer this thursday. I'll let them have it all weekend because I'll be in Carlisle for the Fall show!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Check right behind the center console. There is a flap in the firewall insulation there and a hole in the firewall. This may be the source of your leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Just happened to my roomates GTi. I was dumping some cups of water around the seals of the sunroof and found his coming in right at the middle of the door. Just found where it was coming from today so I might try the air pressure hose trick and see if that works
. Let you know how it turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I have an 02 GTI and it's been in the shop 3 times for a pass. door water leak right above the tweeter. They couldn't find the leak with a hose but it poured last Monday night when they had it and they found water all over inside the car. Turns out it was the seal and they replaced it and with the rain Sat. morning it was dry as a bone. One other time I had a problem with the sunroof drains not working (in the doors) and the pass one was clogged but it leaked inside the car which sucked. Just some ideas but they'll have a hell of a time finding it with a hose but check right above the tweeter, I know thats where it poured in for me. Hopefully that helps you a little. Pain in the ass though with a lot of frustration....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,993 Posts
The most common water leak problem we see at the dealer is the Pollen Filter housing leaking. This could be due to a faulty seal on the pollen filter housing, or the cowl drains clog and water can enter directly through the pollen filter after it fills the cowl up...

I have seen a fair share of sunroof leaks and weatherstrip leaks, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
The most common water leak problem we see at the dealer is the Pollen Filter housing leaking. This could be due to a faulty seal on the pollen filter housing, or the cowl drains clog and water can enter directly through the pollen filter after it fills the cowl up...

I have seen a fair share of sunroof leaks and weatherstrip leaks, though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have what seems to be a new leak (not described above). I noticed the front passenger side floormat was a bit wet this morning. It seems water is leaking through the space between the bottom of hte door and the door molding right underneath the midrange speaker on the bottom. I can even see where the water is coming in but I don't know why. There is a plastic peice that runs on the molding underneath the door (but not on the door - kind of on the floor). There is a spot where one peice of plastic ends and another begins. This seems to be where the water is coming in. Should this be covered under my bumper to bumper warranty? I hope so cause I noticed that my car has had a bit of a musty smell lately even though I never leave any empty drink containers or anything in it. Thanks for any info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
I have what seems to be a new leak (not described above). I noticed the front passenger side floormat was a bit wet this morning. It seems water is leaking through the space between the bottom of hte door and the door molding right underneath the midrange speaker on the bottom. I can even see where the water is coming in but I don't know why. There is a plastic peice that runs on the molding underneath the door (but not on the door - kind of on the floor). There is a spot where one peice of plastic ends and another begins. This seems to be where the water is coming in. Should this be covered under my bumper to bumper warranty? I hope so cause I noticed that my car has had a bit of a musty smell lately even though I never leave any empty drink containers or anything in it. Thanks for any info.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly where im is leaking from. I think.

If I take the plastic moulding off on the pass side door sill and look in the lip of the door inner seal (where the door sill trim sits in), it's full of water. That's where I think it's coming in the car. Runs over the door inner seal and over the door sill trim and on to the floor...

I was going to have it looked at, at the dealer but had to cancel. Couldn't afford the labor charge at this present time.

[ October 29, 2003: Message edited by: AlwaysVeeDubbin ]
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top