VW Forum banner

water pump and overheating

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  2001Jettagls 
#1 ·
So I am going through my troubleshooting steps in my Chilton book and on this site for why my golf is overheating and the next step is to replace the water pump. This timing is perfect because I wanted to drain and flush my coolant as well so I can kill two birds with one stone. My question is: does anybody have any input on which brand of water pump? I have looked everywhere and I found 15 different pumps on just partsgeek.com

Thanks for the input

#9 ·
Well, I am kind of debating on tackling the water pump and the timing belt. I am mechanical and I have worked on helicopter engines for 10 years but a helo engine is not a car engine and I don't want to mess something up. I know how easy you can do that. I am picking up some G12 coolant from the VW dealer this weekend but I might jsut take my car in and have everything replaced.

Burned...I already replaced both my radiator fans. The driver's side fan stopped about 3 weeks ago. I had some smog issues about a month ago and when I took it to the mechanic, they replaced the thermostat due to a code that kept being thrown so I haven't checked that again. I probable should but I know it isn't due to the fans.

#10 ·
well...looks like the thermostat is working just fine.

next step is the timing belt and the water pump. Going to cost me $738 if I have a mechanic do it :y:.

I am kind of hesitant to do it myself, simply just because I have never done a timing belt before.

#12 ·
I did it for my first time on my vw as well. It was a pain in the ass but not too terrible to do. I would advise having a friend help you if you do it yourself..an extra pair of hands and some otehr insight will be helpful.. Hardest part was getting the motor mount out of the way.. everything else wasn't too terrible.

#14 ·
This is a little late, but With the thermostat removed, you can reach your fingers in and actually feel the water pump impeller, that's on the 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 motors.

If the impeller is broken, you will feel it spinning freely.

It's very common for a plastic impeller to break before the timing belt needs to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.