VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the new tires (nitto neo gens) are mounted, balanced, and on. They drive so nicely on the highway. Such a smooth drive. Except now there is a weird problem. If I do a quick lane change (at 60-80) or quickly nudge the wheel to the 11 or 1 o clock position, then straighten out back to 12 o clock, it feels like the rear of the car almost slides a bit. It isn't like I'm losing traction. But its more of this weird floating/sliding feeling. Hard to describe. Any ideas? They're 205 40 on 8s and 215 40 on 9s. They are inflated to between 40-45psi.

I'm gunna swap the RCs back on this weekend to see how they compare, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have noticed that same feeling even without changing lanes, I thought maybe it was my suspension bushings, but recently I think it may have to do with one of my calipers intermittently seizing up. will let ya know if I figure it out

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely not suspension bushings or caliper. It's the nittos. I put on my bbs rcs with shitty, almost bald tires and it gripped much better, no weird sway feeling. New control arm bushings and new outer tierods. Still get the sway feeling from nittos.
Anyone else notice this? Almost feels like the cars rear follows the front with a time delay, as if you're towing a trailer and switch lanes, the trailer follows. It's like a weird diagnal feeling. Maybe the bald tires offer more traction?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I mean because there's more surface area touching the ground, so they almost act as slicks? Idk, just a theory.
Doesn't make sense though. I'm getting an alignment thursday, my car needs one bad. But that still doesn't explain why I don't get that sway feeling with my crap tires, but I do with the nittos.

·
4,053 Posts
My guess is it's a combination of beinh off alignment and the familiar feeling of your old tires. You rode on them for so long so you got used to the feeling of them.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Been doing some more research and it appears others had this problem with even very expensive tires. I will update after the alignment tomorrow. The case I was reading about said that the alignment really helped a lot. I'm also gunna make sure the tires are at 40psi. Over inflation could probably cause poor handling also.

I don't think the feeling is normal miller. If feels like I'm going sideways down the highway if I take a slightly harsh turn.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bit more wear on the inside of the wheels on the drivers side. But not horrible. Tires were all near bald and passenger side wore evenly. They were cheap tires, lasted 25k miles, maybe a bit more. They did not have that weird feeling like nittos though.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,440 Posts
i dont really remember how they rode when they were new. also that tire pressure seems high. i would run 36psi. the nittos are a softer tire so maybe its just how they are feeling to you. you are going from bald old hard tires to soft tires with lots of tread. like how you said, its like riding on racing slicks. your old tires have more contact. how stetched are they? if you havent driven on stretched tires ever, it also could just be that. they do ride differently. definetly drop your tire pressure. i ran 36 all around. 40-45 those things are like riding on bowling balls.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O haven't ever driven with stretched tires, so I think some of it is that. They are currently at 36-38psi. I need to check when they are cold and will bring them down to 36. But I'm starting to just think it's a combo of the tires being stretched and the tires being new with a lot of tread. I got the alignment done from a real good shop. They did it after hours so I was there with the guy and apparently there are other alignment problems with the entire car, but he aligned all the tires with each other, as opposed to aligning it with the center of the car.
My steering wheel isn't straight. Instead of being parallel with the floor, it's at 330 and 930. So I called and he said it's due to the way the car is off. Steering wheel is fine with road speeds but on the highway I have to have it at 330 and 930. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about all of it, I think the wheel should be straight. I mean it was before but whatever. I'm done with all this alignment bs. If you guys understand what he's saying with the wheel being off, let me know cuz I don't see why it can't be straightened without messing up the alignment.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,440 Posts
if you remember when i replaced my ps rack. i had the steering wheel 360° off. if you have vcds lite, you can see what degree your steering wheel is at and possibly just unbolt it from the rack and rotate it until its back at 0° and straight. takes less than 30min. to do.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good idea. My friend just bought the full version of vagcom so I'll probably do that. It really isn't that bad, it's just a little thing that bothers me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts