VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have an 85 jetta and i want to change the tiallights and i want to try and do it myself what kind of welder do i need and how much do you think it would cost?

thanks Paul

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
He wants to do golf tails. Get a mig welder. Best all around welder. And pretty easy to learn with. If you can't afford it most parts stores like advanced auto and others rent them. You can also rent them from home depots and stuff. Alot cheaper if you don't plan on using it alot. But if you really wanna buy on e get a mig welder. You can probably get a small one for under 200 dollars.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Speaking of lights 89jettawolfs, I was curious how you went about getting your all Red taillights? I've been thinking about getting the all smoked or 1/2 clears, but yours look cool too. Which did you start out with if you painted them?

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: TruBluJettaMK2 ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
All red tails are easy. Take off your tails and tape off whatever you don't wanna paint. I wanted to keep the reverse light clear. Get transparent candie apple red paint (testors). The number is 1605. Scuff up the area being sprayed. And go to town. But paint the red too so it's the same color. Same for smoked. Just buy transparent black paint. You should clear coat themt oo. Just get stufff from a auto parts stroe. The whole thing cost me like 5 bucks and really looks good.

·
Registered
573 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
All red tails are easy. Take off your tails and tape off whatever you don't wanna paint. I wanted to keep the reverse light clear. Get transparent candie apple red paint (testors). The number is 1605. Scuff up the area being sprayed. And go to town. But paint the red too so it's the same color. Same for smoked. Just buy transparent black paint. You should clear coat themt oo. Just get stufff from a auto parts stroe. The whole thing cost me like 5 bucks and really looks good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, sounds good. Did you have to remove any of the amber from the back light? It won't affect the end result of the coloring?

·
Registered
526 Posts
nope i did mine all red with the testors and u cant tell that it was orange b4..ull have red turn signals...if u paint ur reverse its gonna be pink !!! lol

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I didn't remove any of the color from the back. Mine are all the same color and i can't tell they were orange before. Maybe you didn't put it on thick enough. And the reverse light will look red when done. Make sure you paint the whole thing even the part already red or it'll be different colors. Laer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts