VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if anyone can recommend a solid VW mech in West Palm Beach / ROyal Palm Beach Florida - that would be awesome.

Second, here is the issue:
mk4 J1.8t (AWP) approx 198K miles. Replaced alternator, acc. belt tensioner, and battery in the last 2 weeks. Alternator bench tested prior to install and cleared as operation normal. Vagcom shows 11.7 (and dropping) voltage on measuring block 004. Multimetered both starter and alternator (positive posts) and shows 0.01. When i pull the battery cable, car dies.

:confused::confused::confused:

ANy thoughts, please post and I will reply as already been done, or havent tried yet and will post results.

If i get a mechanic referral before the thoughts, I will take it to them first. (been at this for 3 weeks and am thoroughly frustrated).

Thanks for your help.

Romar

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'm in delray beach. There is a place down in boca called last chance garage, they've been around for around 20 years or so. They do foreign and domestic. There's also another shop in delray R&R auto clinic that is good but I'm not sure if he does VW. Both of these shops are fair. They won't rip you off.
R&R auto clinic: 561-455-4151 ask if he does VW. I'll get you the number and address for last chance tonight.

However if you're looking for performance at any point in time... Steer clear of a place in boca called velocity factor. The owner is a prick and rips customers off, and on top of that he is a horrible mechanic and has fucked up more cars than I can count... It would be worth the trip to head down to USP Motorsports in coral springs, they have a 10 second daily driven 1.8t Jetta and the fastest Audi in north America..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Second, here is the issue:
mk4 J1.8t (AWP) approx 198K miles. Replaced alternator, acc. belt tensioner, and battery in the last 2 weeks. Alternator bench tested prior to install and cleared as operation normal. Vagcom shows 11.7 (and dropping) voltage on measuring block 004. Multimetered both starter and alternator (positive posts) and shows 0.01. When i pull the battery cable, car dies.

Romar
Did you check the alternator wire harness in the car for battery voltage at the blue wire? If you dont have battery voltage there, check fuse #11 on the left side of the dash (accessible with the driver door open)

This is correct for a 2003 Jetts 1.8 Not sure what year you have but AWP 1.8 is available in the 2003.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the recommendations and the potential fix. will post out and let you know what happens.

Cheers.

Romar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts