VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall again. I know im posting too many new topics - sorry about that.
Anyway can anyone tell me WHAT chip to get for about $500 or less if any for my 2002 1.8 turbo??? Please provide website.

THANXXX

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good chip to get is the APR direct port. Does the most functions at once, and also undetecable by the dealer so not to void out ur warranty if you're still under it. Links to it are all over the forum but here it is again.
www.aptuning.com

other good ones are the GIAC and the REVO. dont have the sites for those but im sure some one will chime in soon enough.

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nIGaTuk1.8T:
Good chip to get is the APR direct port. Does the most functions at once, and also undetecable by the dealer so not to void out ur warranty if you're still under it. Links to it are all over the forum but here it is again.
www.aptuning.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Truuuuuue.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slaven GTI:
Hey yall again. I know im posting too many new topics - sorry about that.
Anyway can anyone tell me WHAT chip to get for about $500 or less if any for my 2002 1.8 turbo??? Please provide website.

THANXXX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where in NY are you. I know there is an APR dealer near the nw nj/ny border. Revo dealers are all over the place.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nIGaTuk1.8T:
[QB]Good chip to get is the APR direct port. Does the most functions at once, and also undetecable by the dealer so not to void out ur warranty if you're still under it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dealers can tell if you are chipped or not...don't be fooled into thinking they can't tell... I can bet you my paycheck for the next month that I can tell when a car is chipped or not...don't fool yourselves into thinking that dealer techs don't know how the APR chip works with the cruise controls...the lead tech at my job HAS the APR Direct Port in his car...not like we care if you are chipped at my dealer...

There are also other ways to tell if a car is chipped...we can open the ECU...check the workshop code with the scan tool...if none of that looks right, its a safe bet the car is chipped...

If you take your car to the dealer and they ask, be honest...they will know if you are lying. At least at my dealer, with a shop full of enthusiast technicians, we'll know. But then again, we don't care as long as the customer is honest.

With all that said...I'd go with APR. They have a whole kit available to use with their software...Revo doesn't. Also, APR has been around longer. With the direct port programming, you don't have to risk a bad soldering job, like you had to with old methods of chipping. Plus, any time you need to, you can have the chip wiped off the ECU and go back to stock.

·
Registered
500 Posts
www.aptuning.com

other good ones are the GIAC and the REVO. dont have the sites for those but im sure some one will chime in soon enough.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's also REVO direct port
REVO!!!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:

There are also other ways to tell if a car is chipped...we can open the ECU...check the workshop code with the scan tool...if none of that looks right, its a safe bet the car is chipped...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But i've also heard if a dealer did this they just voided your warrenty too. But it's hear say. I agree with the honesty. Alot of the tech guys at the dealer i go to are younger. Most of them don't car if you have a chip or not. Even one of the service managers ask me what i've done to my car just so he knows if he needs to "forget" about a certain mod if something is wrong.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Where in NY are you. I know there is an APR dealer near the nw nj/ny border. Revo dealers are all over the place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im in Syracuse, NY. Any dealers near me??,
Umm yeah I guess ill go with apr cause soon i want t order a cold air from them as well, so a match should be pretty good. you guys agree??

[ November 04, 2003: Message edited by: Slaven GTI ]

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slaven GTI:
Im in Syracuse, NY. Any dealers near me??,
Umm yeah I guess ill go with apr cause soon i want t order a cold air from them as well, so a match should be pretty good. you guys agree??

[ November 04, 2003: Message edited by: Slaven GTI ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These guys are probably your closest APR Dealer http://www.salisburymotorcar.com

[ November 04, 2003: Message edited by: db ]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the GIAC X chip. check it out i have the ibe chip with a key chain remote. It is great i love it. I just take my car to the dealer and most of them know what is going on. I have my car worked on at this place and most of them at the dealer know who they are so they in fact treat me better also. but i still switch it to the stock mode when i take it in for service. In case the service manager is being a pain. I would recommend getting a chip at the place that is well know in your area. I would even ask your service guy. They probably know most tuners and reliable tuners.
check out GIACUSA.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts