VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what to do when the engine econ appears? i have a 2001 jetta. it just surpassed 35,000 miles and the light went on. thanks!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
go to the vw dealer and let them determine y it is on. they have to hook it up to a computer to figure out the problem. it's hard to figure out y your check engine light is on unless your coilpacks and o2 sensor blew(it would smell like rotten egg's if they blew).

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have been having a EPC light lately (on and off). I'm figuring it's not a big deal and I'll have them check it out when I get my oil changed. The check engine light is more important I think so you may want to get that in asap.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the CEL can come on because of so many reasons. it would be vary hard to tell why it came on w/o the proper diagnosic equipment

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Do yourself a favor...find a member here on VWF or head over to whoretex and find a guy with a Vagcom who is willing to scan it for you. Usually its free or can be paid for with a 6er of their favorite beer. Scan the car and post up the codes that are in the computer! And I can tell you whats wrong. See my signature for my credentials.

It beats paying $70-$90 to have a dealer just tell you whats wrong...they probably will try to upsell work to you as well.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
I have been having a EPC light lately (on and off). I'm figuring it's not a big deal and I'll have them check it out when I get my oil changed. The check engine light is more important I think so you may want to get that in asap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tommunist, the reason your EPC light is on is most likely your brake light switch I'd guess. Does your cruise control work? If it doesn't, I'd bet on it being the brake switch. Try and scan the car, and see if it has a Brake Switch (A) Circuit Malfunction code.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
If it is blinking, don't drive the car.

If it is on non-stop it could be a number of things, as little as O2 sensor spiked and triggered it and the ECU might of already corrected the problem thus it isn't bliking, but you HAVE to go and read it what the code is as it will surely shine some light on what has/is happening.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I think advanced auto parts scans codes for free... I'v been told this, but have never tried myself.

·
Registered
777 Posts
might want to check your gas cap first.....

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blahblahblah:
[QB]does anyone know what to do when the engine econ appears? [QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You all missed the critical first step:

Curse like hell!!!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:

Tommunist, the reason your EPC light is on is most likely your brake light switch I'd guess. Does your cruise control work? If it doesn't, I'd bet on it being the brake switch. Try and scan the car, and see if it has a Brake Switch (A) Circuit Malfunction code.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cruise control does not work. So, given this, is it really important that I get this fixed right away or can I wait a few hundred miles until my oil change comes up? Thank God we have techs on here!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
As long as your brake lights still work, you can wait it out. Unless you must have cruise control, that is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - the thing is, I thought the brake lights were working but apparently they aren't now that I checked them. Good thing I didn't get rearended this past week!! I guess I'll have to bring it in on Monday (if they are open). What causes the brake lights to stop working anyway?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The brake switch failed open internally, meaning it doesn't complete the circuit when you step on the brake. And since I'm working monday, chances are your dealer will be open monday as well. Let me know if I was right, cause it sounds like I am.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The brake switch failed open internally, meaning it doesn't complete the circuit when you step on the brake.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tommunist... doesn't that make you feel safe? LOL

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
Tommunist... doesn't that make you feel safe? LOL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking to myself as I drove home last night, "Well at least if I go by a cop or something and I step on the brakes he won't see me stepping on the brakes....."

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Lol, thats probably the only advantage you would have, man! I personally want to install some James Bond type devices on my car to deter people from following me. You know..something like..

-a remote activated compartment containing some caltraps (nasty things that flatten tires)
-A reservoir containg a thin oil, which is injected into the tailpipe (smokescreen)
-another reservior containing some more slippery stuff (oil slick)
-a switch that kills all my tail lights

Funny thing is...when I was driving my dodge truck around, a cop was chasing me once...I had a decent lead on him before he decided to chase me, so I dipped down a side street and cut my lights off...and he didn't see me to follow. It helped that my truck was black..

Sorry, the cops have me extremely paranoid right now...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Lol, thats probably the only advantage you would have, man! I personally want to install some James Bond type devices on my car to deter people from following me. You know..something like..

-a remote activated compartment containing some caltraps (nasty things that flatten tires)
-A reservoir containg a thin oil, which is injected into the tailpipe (smokescreen)
-another reservior containing some more slippery stuff (oil slick)
-a switch that kills all my tail lights

Funny thing is...when I was driving my dodge truck around, a cop was chasing me once...I had a decent lead on him before he decided to chase me, so I dipped down a side street and cut my lights off...and he didn't see me to follow. It helped that my truck was black..

Sorry, the cops have me extremely paranoid right now...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking about that tail lights thing too...it would be handy that is for sure. I'd also take a device so my car would go invisible like the predator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts