VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
i see...thanks

can you explain to me what ASR does?

when should i have it on, and when should i have it off?

should i always have it on (so that the light does not show)?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by edfu:
i see...thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ASR is anit-slip something or other. It senses when your wheels are slipping and decreases the power supplied to it thus slowing it down, thus getting more grip.

You should always have it on. There are two exceptions though. The first is if you are stuck in snow or other slippery surfaces. The other is if you are trying to get a good launch (when racing) and don't want power to be squelched when you spin your tires.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by edfu:
i see...thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

when the car notices that it's losing traction it will cut off power to the engine(i think) in order the driver and the car to regain traction.

it's always on and u should just leave it on just incase u lose traction in the rain or the snow. however, if you race your car ur best bet is to turn it off or else u'll lose valuable seconds. i forgot to turn it off when i raced my friends z24 and man did i screw up that race!

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It actually works alongside your anti-lock brake system. Using the same system, when it senses a wheel spinning more than the others, it will use the brakes on that wheel to slow it back down. It does not affect engine output.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
when you're stuck in snow it should be off?

but when you're driving in snow it should be on?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think about it... You want get the snow from under the wheels so you can get traction on the pavement in order to get moving. You woudn't want the car to reduce power when you have a good rocking motion going.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Think about it... You want get the snow from under the wheels so you can get traction on the pavement in order to get moving. You woudn't want the car to reduce power when you have a good rocking motion going.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was having this problem this past winter. then realized that the ASR was still on.

jon

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You will notice if you press the ASR button on your dash the light will also show up.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Active Slip Reduction. It uses a combination of brake and throttle adjustment to bring all wheels to control. You would want this on at all times except when wheel spin is a desired quality (burn outs, strong launch, or if stuck in mud/snow.)

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Active Slip Reduction. It uses a combination of brake and throttle adjustment to bring all wheels to control. You would want this on at all times except when wheel spin is a desired quality (burn outs, strong launch, or if stuck in mud/snow.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, and it puts a hurtin on your stock clutch as well.

lemee rephrase that...your stock 1.8T junk clutch that is.

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: cyaneye ]

·
Registered
423 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Active Slip Reduction. It uses a combination of brake and throttle adjustment to bring all wheels to control. You would want this on at all times except when wheel spin is a desired quality (burn outs, strong launch, or if stuck in mud/snow.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Close but no cigar. ASR= Anti Slip Regulation.
If you have ASR, you also have EDL, EDL=Electronic Differentail Lock.

"The EDL system operates automatically and in conjunction with the ABS. At speeds up to 25 MPH, If a differance of approx. 100RPM is detected between the drive wheels (I.E. one drive wheel is on a slippery surface), that wheel will be braked in a controlled manner and more of the engine's power will be directed to the other wheel via the differential to achieve greater traction."

Got that right out of the Bentley Book.

If the light is flashing you probably have something wrong with the ABS system. Most likely.

Good Luck
Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ASR, aka Anti Slip Regulation

Yeah, it can mess with your clutch, depending on your driving style.

It is just one of the ways your high powered dub keeps things on point while on slippery ground. It also works with the EDL (electronic differential lock) to keep things under control -- until you press the button.

So while drag racing or getting out of a snowy, muddy hole, disable ASR by pressing the button.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was driving to work this morning and one of the warning lights lit up but I just took out my manual the night before so I didn't have it in my car.

Can someone tell me what this sign means?

On the outermost part is an almost full circl with an arrow on one tail--within that circle is a triangle, and within the triangle is an exclamation mark.

What does this mean?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Did the light go off? what type of VW are you driving? This light is your traction control light. What could have happened is you where taking off to quickly and were starting to spin your wheels or you hit a slick part in the road (ie, puddle, ice, loose gravel).If you look on your center console by the air vents, you'll see your rear defroster and a button that says ASR. if you press the ASR button you'll see the light come on. This means that you traction control is turned off. HTH
jon

·
Registered
125 Posts
GOTTA LOVE THIS ABUNDANCE OF KNOWLEDGE, ONLT AT VWFORUM

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vdublongisland:
GOTTA LOVE THIS ABUNDANCE OF KNOWLEDGE, ONLT AT VWFORUM<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

very true!!
i finally know what it exactly means!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
and if this light is blinking, it means ASR is on and working at that time. If the light is always on, ASR is off. Ironic isnt it. I guess it would be annoying if it was always on. good thinking vw.

·
Registered
30 Posts
so this morning it happened again. the warning light went on for the ESP.

does the light go on if you hit a bump hard??
i'm guessing that may be the reason.

but when i tried pressing the ESP buttom to turn it the warning light off (and thus ESP on), nothing happened

any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts