VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i'm still sorta new to increasing performance in engines, what else can one do aside from increasing air flow, exhaust flow, and compression? what can i do to my jetta 2.0, and do i need to replace the tree as well as the airbox when i put on an intake? and what about the vacuum lines on the side of the airbox, yes i do realize this should probably be two seperate posts, but all my questions boil down to this....

what else can i do to my car aside from a turbo/sup'charger, intake, xhaust, and a chip, and how does each upgrade give the engine more power?

·
Registered
73 Posts
well you basically hit most of the routes to power. Air, fuel, and a spark are needed to induce power. Increasing the input of all three makes more power. Raising/lowering compression, and the size of the pistons, a more aggressive cam, are also easy ways. Now days, No2 injection has become a very popular way as well s Co2 injection under the right circumstances.

Another way to make a car faster is to lower its overall wieght, and increase aerodynamicy(sp?).

Thirdly, using a more combustable fuel mixture. Part alcohol, toulene, the list goes on.

Off the top of my head, thats all I can think of.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
For the Vaccume question: Go to advanced auto parts and they have vaccume plugs, just plug the minifold.

Cam/Cam Gear: is also another way to increase power for a decent price.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
do i need to replace the tree as well as the airbox when i put on an intake?
Im a bit confused on that one. What do you mean by tree, and how would u have an airbox on with an intake?

what else can i do to my car aside from a turbo/sup'charger, intake, xhaust, and a chip, and how does each upgrade give the engine more power?
Turbo will yield the largest gains by far, but is also most expensive
S/C will yield the 2nd best gains but isn't very tuneable and is also expensive
Intake/Exhaust: both will give a 5-10hp gain for fairly cheep
Chip: will give a 5-10hp gain for very cheep
Cams: also a small gain over stock...the 2.0 isn't very tuneable untill it is F/I

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the engine is fuel injected, and there are two vacuum lines going to the airbox, when i put on an intake where do i put them?

what i mean by the tree is the hose that goes from the airbox to the throttle body before you put an intake on, do you replace that hose as well? and if so what do you do with all of the hoses attached to it? or do they attach to the new hose?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw... how much does a cam gear cost? and thanks for all of your info, i'm really interested in learning more about engine tuning...

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jman9895:
the engine is fuel injected, and there are two vacuum lines going to the airbox, when i put on an intake where do i put them?

what i mean by the tree is the hose that goes from the airbox to the throttle body before you put an intake on, do you replace that hose as well? and if so what do you do with all of the hoses attached to it? or do they attach to the new hose?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still a lil confused, but this should help some

btw... how much does a cam gear cost? and thanks for all of your info, i'm really interested in learning more about engine tuning...
Check out www.TTtuning.com Fairly cheep

As for the vaccume lines, you just remove them, one is to control the valve that lets air flow to cool the exhaust mani and the other is just a normal vaccume line. Buy the little nipples and you will have a nice vaccume throughout your system

[ December 14, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
hey this weekend i put a TT chip into my car and it wasnt a miracle or anything but it def. made a difference in power!
best way to make a 2.0 fast is to get rid of it haha

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hookin myself up with a P-flo off of ebay this weekend.. then a tectonics exhaust soon, then a chip, then a cam gear, takin out the backseat and doin some interior work to make the thing lighter.... btw, i've seen coilover kits for like 200$ can i use my stock struts with those???

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you buy a coilover kit, it comes with struts wrapped in springs, its basically a all-in-one package for suspension, they bolt right in.

On the other hand, if you only buy springs, and equip them on stock struts/shocks, all 4 of the stock struts/shocks will probably be blown within the first month or so.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZuMmKIII:
If you buy a coilover kit, it comes with struts wrapped in springs, its basically a all-in-one package for suspension, they bolt right in.

On the other hand, if you only buy springs, and equip them on stock struts/shocks, all 4 of the stock struts/shocks will probably be blown within the first month or so.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you buy race spring, Stock struts can last for a long time with a lowered car as long as the bumpstops are in good condition.

The coilovers you are talking about are crap. They are cheeply made knockoffs. Save the money and buy a good spring/strut kit. around 400-600$. Sounds like you have good plans for your car to start, I'd recomend when u get the cam gear, also get a cam.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info.. i'll save up and do it right... i suppose it's worth the wait

·
Registered
466 Posts
Another way to make your car "Feel" a little faster and more responsive is to lose the heavy stock rims and get some light aftermarket ones. It won't make it feel like a rocket but that is the best place to lose weight IMO. The less rolling resistance, the better.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGolfCart:
Another way to make your car "Feel" a little faster and more responsive is to lose the heavy stock rims and get some light aftermarket ones. It won't make it feel like a rocket but that is the best place to lose weight IMO. The less rolling resistance, the better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unsprung weight reduction will make a huge difference!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts