VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to hear a horrible sound coming from the engine. The car is a 2000 Jetta VR6 5 speed with about 49k miles. I hear and feel a terrible knock at idle. The idle had always had a kind of cadence to it, and the knock is regular with this sound. I have not yet changed the spark plugs, due at 40k. I cannot imagine that such a horrible sound would be caused by this, not even 25% overdue. I have heard something about a recall on ignition coils, but I think it was only for the '01/'02 cars. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Knocks arent good. I hope you haven't thrown a rod or something. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Is it a consistant knock? If so it can be as simple as increasing your octane. I run 93 all the tim in my VR6. Most likley it's know your plugs like fli said hope it's nothing to serious. If your really concerned take it to a pro or your local dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it's dentonation, I think it's just a hard misfire. Sometimes, when it is at it's worst, I can smell unburned fuel. There is an equally bad, although different, sound when there is a negative load on the engine. I'm almost sure it's an ignition problem. I've ordered spark plugs ($15 each!), so I'll see if that fixes it. If not, I suspect the ignition coil. THanks for you replies.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I know when my coilpack went I didn't have a knock, I was just running on 4 cylinders and it smelled like rotten eggs. That's also with a 2000 VR6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts