VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i hunt for a mk4 jetta 1.8 i want to know what this problem is.
On my mk4 1.8t golf i seem to have an overheating issue and have replaced lower coolant flange hoses.
I open the hood after seeing it overheat luckily i was home. This is what I see

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Help me out here any solutions or anybody know what it is ? Any quick fix, simple solutions would help more than anything.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
it looks like coolant, like a line exploded and sprayed the hot coolant everywhere. i had a coolant leak and it looked like that except in a different spot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have a very small coolant leak but it was coming from the lower coolant hose flange and the flange plug. Replaced both and on the way home the plug blows off and drains out all coolant thats when it overheated, havent driven it or started since then, i may go check my lines in a few

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
could that be dried up coolant from when the lines exploded? the heat causes it to get like that.

did you scan for codes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is dried coolant I've discovered why, the line wasn't on correctly, it didn't have the metal clip all the way on, i still am leaking from the passenger side right between wheel well and passenger door. I haven't scanned yet for anything i wouldn't doubt I'm running codes.
What did you use to clean yours ?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
simple green, or soap and water. i would clean everything and run your car for a bit, then see if you can find the leak by tracing the newly formed coolant stains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple green i will use then. If i take off the coolant resivour lid it seems to drip alittle underneath right before the passenger seat on the bottom side, is that supposed to do that or is it just the liquid runnig on the frame ?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
16501/P0117 - Ross-Tech Wiki
Difficulties with starting a cold engine.
Starting the engine when engine is warmish or warm, idle rpm immediately is 1200 - 3000 rpm.
RPM at idle is irregular.
With all engine temperatures seldom idle rpm will vary between 900 - 1000 rpm.
With engine warm (90 °C) the engine temperature suddenly drops (70 °C) and slowly comes back to 90 °C.
Bad acceleration during warming up.
Diesel: an indication is extreme long time burning time of the glow indication light.
Engine Overheating

Possible Causes
The electrical signal coming from G62 is too low
Wiring and/or connections faulty (short circuit?)
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) faulty
Mechanical problems in cooling system

Possible Solutions
Check wiring and connections
Check / Replace Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
Check cooling system and correct overheating condition if present.

im guessing your coolant temperature sensor is fucked. go to the dealer and get a new one, it should have a green top. make sure you let the car cool down if you drive it after or coolant will come out when you try to replace the sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That solves that but what about the lower flange ? The whole knob blew off drving home. Replaced it and did the samething again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flush your coolant system. From what you're saying, it sounds like you have a blockage somewhere that's causing your stuff to blow off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts