VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
Just about everything. But, SOME chip upgrades you can get away with, like REVO. You could also do a cat-back exhaust. Hell you can do anything as long as you keep your stock parts.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do CAI (or just regular intakes) void the warranty? I was talking to one of my friends (not vdubber) who didn't think it would but for some reason I think it may....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealers will give you grief about anything. And yes CAI is one of them. So if you do get it, make sure to take it off everytime before you goto your dealership. It'll take you mayke 30 minues to swap it out.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by samc:
Dealers will give you grief about anything. And yes CAI is one of them. So if you do get it, make sure to take it off everytime before you goto your dealership. It'll take you mayke 30 minues to swap it out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ugh, I have to take the car in for service real soon too.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Federal law requires that in order to void a warranty, the dealer must be able to prove that the aftermarket part, or its installation, caused the part in question to fail. Most dealers will try to tell you its voided, but if you pin them, this is the standard to which they must all comply.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Federal law requires that in order to void a warranty, the dealer must be able to prove that the aftermarket part, or its installation, caused the part in question to fail. Most dealers will try to tell you its voided, but if you pin them, this is the standard to which they must all comply.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
no matter what you do the dealer will always try to void a warrenty with an aftermarket part that is why you have to know your rights. if the part you put on causes the warrenty work then its your bad but if not you should be covered

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Well, here it is, straight from the VW Tech:

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act prevents the car manufacturer from voiding the warranty due to the installation of an aftermarket part (performance or otherwise) unless they provide the replacement part for free, or they can prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure of a part in question.

So, if you installed a CAI and then yout MAF sensor went bad, the dealer could deny the repair if they are willing to try and prove that the CAI caused the failure of the MAF. Some dealers care, some don't, and will replace the part anyway.

Heres some reading for you: http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

That will tell you what you need to know. But I would suggest just finding a Mod-friendly dealer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
well I would have to disagree with some of you- it all depends on where you live like chicago for example where there is a gti everywhere you look and of course people tune them the dealers have to push their limits on the waranty so like cai is cool here, cat back is cool, suspention cool, diver valve cool, and the dealer has a chip for the 1.8t dont know which one but they told me about it. dont know how much it adds. so the best thing to do is check with your dealer whats fine with them and whats not. when I purchesed my 1.8t after driving my 98 GTI vr6 the which I still have the dealer asks me do I like the new car Im like NO because I was expecting more power, so he is like trow a chip in it Im like would it void and he goes no we can go along with that it all depends like I said no big deal unless u really tune it like NEW TURBO or NOS then thats a whole new topic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts